Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 tracker 4x4 with 5sp trans. I just completed rebuilding my 5spd transmission. I used the BK-293ws rebuild kit along with new input shaft also new clutch kit. I went to start it up to test drive it and when I let the clutch out it whines like possibly the release bearing is not installed right or something. I can shift into all gears. I don't think it is the tranny but something to do with the new clutch kit. It whines when I put it in first gear and let out on the clutch as well as reverse and neutral. No whine with clutch engaged. Only when I disengage it. Can someone give me an idea as to what I can check before I tear it back down? I am worried that I will disassemble it and not be able to tell what the problem is. Please any help is much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
18,423 Posts
when I let the clutch out it whines
No whine with clutch engaged
This is confusing. :huh:

Pick one.

Does it whine...

1. with the clutch pedal depressed (disengaged)

2. With the clutch pedal released (engaged)

3. during pedal transition (disengaged to engaged motion)

IF there is whining with the clutch pedal released / clutch engaged, and you have at least a 1/2" of pedal free-play (measured at the top of the pedal travel), then you more than likely have a transmission (whine) issue.

IF you have no free-play (suggesting that the release bearing is still contacting the pressure plate forks), then you have clutch linkage / cable / (or slave / master cylinder as applicable ) / clutch assembly errors / wrong or faulty clutch components to assess.

Also, what is the relationship of the trans input shaft to pilot bearing fit. Correct in sizing & condition?

Let me close by saying that a "whining sound" is typically transmission related, and you missed something in the overhaul of same.

·
Super Moderator
13,770 Posts
First - clutches don't whine - that's either a bearing or a gear and given the fact that you have a new input shaft, which meshes with the layshaft at all times, I'll bet that's where the noise is coming from - you've changed one gear out of a meshed pair.

Something that needs to be clarified is what you mean when you say engage the clutch - as in "no whine with clutch engaged" - for me the clutch disengages (does not transmit power) when the pedal is depressed, and that is when the input shaft will stop rotating (assuming the vehicle is stationary) - release the clutch, it engages and the engine is now turning the input shaft, and anything meshed with it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are right about it being confusing. I mean it whines when I let clutch out. Either when the trans is in neutral or in gear. So I guess I should have bought a new gear for the countershaft where the gear on the new input shaft mates to. Correct? I did replace the needle bearing where the new input shaft butts up to to the main shaft.
Would someone know where I could buy all the needle bearings that the gears ride on. Two of them are split in half. They aren't broke they are made this way. If I am going to pull this thing back apart I would like to replace those too while im at it. I think there are 6 or 7 different needle bearings I will need.

·
Super Moderator
13,770 Posts
Transparts Warehouse should be able to get the bearings for you.

Now regarding the countershaft - I think it's a "one piece unit" with first, second & third all on one shaft so you could just as easily end up with any of those whining unless you change the mating gear on the main shaft

·
Registered
929 Posts
This thread is why I plan to just buy a an already rebuilt one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tag...For Reference.
This one has confused me...NOT the clutch release description...I have the same exact issues. I would rebuild the transmission as you did, to get rid of the whine, but you got no results? BK-293ws has every bearing in the tranny as far as I can tell.
The last time I had similar issues (clutch out = noise, clutch in = no noise) it was the T.O. bearing on a '90 Ford Ranger. When I put the clutch and bearing in, the noise disappeared. So, did you replace the T.O. bearing when you did the clutch?
One outlying observation is that in 4th gear, there's no whine. Is that the same with yours??

·
Super Moderator
18,423 Posts
So the thread shows up in my list of posts....that was all I originally said until I re-thunk, and edited it later.
I still don't get the procedure / function of this, but as long as YOU are happy. ;)

·
Super Moderator
13,770 Posts
He can go to his profile, pull up a list of his posts, and then find this one - just a way to make it easier to find.

It won't work for your or I - we have too many posts for that.

·
Super Moderator
18,423 Posts
Oh! Then all he has to do is "bookmark" any post he wants to keep on file from his web browser, no? :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I feel like a patient being analyzed by two doctors! This is a carryover practice from other forums. Many have the same basic template and motif, but don't share all features/functionality, I suppose, depending on the Moderator's choices. "Tag" does serve as a "Bookmark", which I can see in my user CP.
BTW - Max, where in SC?

·
Super Moderator
18,423 Posts
I feel like a patient being analyzed by two doctors!
Wait until you get our combined consultation BILL! :eek:

North Charleston, Tim. Gamecock Country! :p

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
You could have just subscribed to the thread. (Under "Thread Tools")

·
Super Moderator
18,423 Posts
That's the default setting if one has a post within a thread (automatically subscribed). Or like said, one can opt to subscribe to ANY thread too.

That or I still don't get the "tag" concept as brought up. :huh:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Fishing around a little, you're right. Posting is automatically subscribing me. Not so in all forums. So I don't need to do that here unless I just want a ton of attention!

·
Super Moderator
18,423 Posts
Cool! You've found your way. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Like I said, keeping all of the forums straight is a chore: This one, a porsche site, RC aircraft, KitCars, archery....maybe that 'too many hobbies' quote I keep hearing has some merrit?
BTW - GOOD LUCK with Georgia tomorrow. Most SC fans look a little down-trodden around the upstate.

·
Super Moderator
18,423 Posts
I hear ya'! Around these parts, all we need to do is beat two teams (Georgia and Clemson) and we call it a winning season! :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts