Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm glad to be on this forum with my new 2012 SX4 Crossover. Unfortunately, I come here already with a pretty unsatisfactory experience, hoping that this once I get past here, it will be much smoother sailing with my new vehicle.

I purchased my SX4 about a month ago, and almost immediately after driving it back home to New Mexico, as I was coming to a stop at a light, the clutch pedal dropped to the floor and failed to disengage. Since then I have had it towed to the local Suzuki dealership, and it has been 4 weeks and counting. They have replaced the clutch slave cylinder under powertrain warranty, so far, as I had expected.

About a week ago (3 weeks in) they called to let me know they had finished replacing the slave cylinder. They wanted to know, as long as the transmission was off, if I would like them to put in a new clutch, with the old one being damaged by hydraulic fluid from slave cylinder. All for the low price of $1020.

Now I argued this should be covered by warranty, since the damage leading to it needing to be replaced was caused by the failure of a warranty covered part. Their response, and they told me even called Suzuki again, was that the clutch is still not covered by powertrain warranty, and besides, it was worn to about 50% before the slave cylinder damage. (I guess the implication being that it needed to be replaced soon anyhow, so I should not get one for free. Never mind that it was perfectly functional before the fluid incident, and now it is not.)

This all seems pretty sleazy to me. Not out of the ordinary as far as warranties and dealerships go, but I expected a little better considering the purportedly high quality warranty Suzuki gave this car. Unfortunately, the cost of being without my car is rising, and I was not willing to take the chance of waiting another month, so I authorized them to do the work for the price they quoted me. They say the cost is only for parts, as they already had the transmission pulled off, but it still slightly peeves me that they are playing the we're being so generous with you card.

My questions here are:

Is there anything in Suzuki's warranty terms that relate this type of situation? (My warranty book is sitting in my glove box, and if I recall, it is pretty vague on details.)

Is this typical of others' experiences with their Suzuki warranty?

What would you think of a dealer putting a clutch contaminated with brake fluid back into a customer's vehicle (this was their original plan)?

Doubtful, since I have already agreed to pay, but do I have any recourse at this point?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: I called the dealership this morning just to check on the status. Apparently, they are still waiting on Parts Plus for the clutch. Parts Plus? Over the month that they have had my car, they have ended their dealership contract with Suzuki. So they decided, without informing me, to order an aftermarket clutch kit. Oh, and the price is actually $1200, not $1020. (I guess they didn't expect I would check their prices. From my casual searches, this is well over the price of even the factory part.)

The clutch is totally ruined and the rivets are practically through the surface. They even showed me this in an attempt to not lose my business. I'm pretty dissatisfied, but I am willing to move on, given they get my transmission back on by next Monday and I am only charged for the $50 bolt I already said yes to.

Of course they're saying they will charge me a restocking fee. I have made no indication that I will pay it, and have no plans to. I'm ready to get the BBB involved if necessary, or any other steps necessary if they want any more than $20.

Please, help me figure out my options if they want to charge me something outrageous.

I've all but given up on getting warranty to cover the damage they've done, but I will use factory parts and won't pay an arm and a leg for it. I'll even do it myself if I can gather up the proper tools and a mechanically knowledgeable friend.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
It's no wonder they are refereed to as STEALerships..

Personally, I would have loaded the car on a trailer, with the transmission pulled.. (need to come out anyway)..

... Philip

1 - 3 of 3 Posts