Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble w/ my clutch it wouldn't disengage at all tho shift gears or start the sami. When i tried to start it it would move me forward then start and i could just go. I took it all out and cleaned it put a new throwout bearing in and adjusted the cable a lil bit and it worked fine. I went through some mud and tried to have a lil fun and it started to do the same thing again. I left the trail and on my way home it started to act better but it is still not quite the same. Any suggestions to what it might be. i was thinking it might be the cable but i'm not sure.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
If the little ground wire is snapped or corroded, the motor might be using the clutch cable as a ground. This heats up the cable jacket and weakens the cable jaket insulation. Here is a cut/n/paste from another post where I explained how you check it.

{snip}
Use your hand (not just a visual check) and follow the clutch cable from the firewall, past the radiator and on to the cable mount at the oil pan. If you find any damage (melting, tearing or stretching) then you need to replace the cable. It is common on these rigs that if enough juice goes through the electrical system, the small ground cable behind the battery is not enough and the clutch becomes the main ground... it will overheat and weaken the cable covering and allow it to stretch. When you press the clutch in, the other end doesn't actually move as much and doesn't completely disengage the clutch.
{/snip}

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i never did say that i did the 1.6 conversion i don't know if that matters but ill check the clutch cable and the ground wire and see if anything is messed up. i only seems to do this when i go in the mud too. I don't know if that would matter either but thanks for the suggestion.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
No.
But if this is the problem you really need to check the clutch cable. If the damage has been done to the cable then fixing the wire won't fix the cable.
I always run an extra ground from the motor where the negative lead bolts to the starter and engine block and to thbody and frame. But again, check that clutch cable for melting/stretching.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm very interested, because I also have a clutch problem. I actually have a similar problem to yours, seems like when the engine heats up when pushed hard, the clutch doesn't disengage smoothly anymore and the manual transmission become hard to shift.

I'm planning on replacing the whole clutch assembly and go for the Petroworks clutch. I'm also planning to replace all bearings and probably the clutch cable as well. Just waiting for my next credit card billing cycle to place the order.

Is there any change required to the clutch when you swap the engine out for the 1.6?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yah the clutch i have now is the centerforce dual friction it works great but the breakin period almost makes it not worth the trouble and you have to be able to drive it on the road. I was going to go with the pw hd one next time and it seems to me that the only diff in the centerforce one is the weighted friction plate.

·
Registered
448 Posts
yah the clutch i have now is the centerforce dual friction it works great but the breakin period almost makes it not worth the trouble and you have to be able to drive it on the road. I was going to go with the pw hd one next time and it seems to me that the only diff in the centerforce one is the weighted friction plate.
So Chevy, has this solved your problem?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts