Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all!

Car is a 98 vitara jlx SWB soft top.

As I was driving to work yesterday the clutch pedal just went all the way to the floor and stayed there. I managed to get the jeep back to the house by clutchless shifting. Had a look around it last night, I couldn't see any broken welds on the pedal. The cable was still hooked into the pedal. The cable was still attached onto the clutch fork. I tried tightening the cable but it didn't help!

When I take the cable out the clutch fork I can move the fork about 15-20mm easily by hand but then it just stops and goes solid. There is only a weak return on the fork.

Does it sound like a release bearing or something has gone inside the clutch and I just need to change the clutch? I've never really had anything to do with clutches before but please bear with me!!

Any advice about what to do would be much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
Check your cable thoroughly, particularly around the firewall, etc. Normally, this is either a clutch cable problem (look at the entire routing) or the weld on the pedal has gone, or the spring on the pedal has 'sprung'.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It did go really quickly so my first thought was cable!

Il have another little poke around tonight and see what I can see! Il take some pictures and post them up as experienced people might be able to spot stuff that I can't see!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I've had the pedal right off and all the welds are fine and the spring on the pedal is still springy!

Got the cable right off as well and it's still totally in one piece. There is a kink at the fork end but it still pushes and pulls through fine.

There is little movement on the clutch fork. When pushing it towards the front of the car it feels like it's hitting off something metal. How much movement does a normal clutch fork have?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts