Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of other issues….

2) clutch pedal - within the last 10 days, my clutch pedal developed a noise a the "bottom" of the movement, within about an 1' of the bottom. It's an "ERK" sound, metallic. Can't describe any better. The sound seems to dome from the area above my foot and the firewall Additionally, I have to push it so far that it touches the firewall in order for it to start initially. It's a bit easier to start, subsequently, within a short time. Additionally, the shifter is a bit more difficult to use in finding the gears, just not as smooth as I remember it being. My mechanic looked at it briefly and suggested that I adjust the clutch cable due to the cable possibly binding. FYI....replaced clutch and throw out bearing in January.

3) air conditioner-had it worked on and running last summer... didn't have the extra cash to get it looked at this summer when I tried it and NOTHING worked. Hoping to get some step by step instructions for troubleshooting.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Several things come to mind for your '88 Samurai tintop:
A) Clutch cables are definitely a wear-out item. The interior lining around the cable eventually wears through and the cable begins grinding on the metallic sheath. OEM clutch cables are the most highly regarded.

B) There's an aluminum bearing retainer plate that houses part of the clutch actuator. The hole in the soft aluminum plate _IS_ the bushing -- there isn't a separate one. Over time, the hole in the plate can wear and the clutch pedal sticks a bit at the end of its travel -- mine does. It's pictured in section 13-4 of the FSM. Petroworks sells a modified plate with a (bronze?) bushing, # TRM0625, still an active part but not shown on the website. See p. 7 of the '04 .pdf catalog at:
web.archive.org
).

It's common to have to push the clutch pedal _ALL_ the way in, to close the clutch switch in the starter circuit.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Merlin93 - thanks for the response.

A) I have a clutch cable from an engine/transmission that I purchased. I can swap the cables.

B ) I have an 86-88 parts catalog. I found the bearing retainer in Fig 24 on the D-5 page. I looks like the bushing is situated to face forward. What moving part fits into the bushing?

I looked for the archive on Web.archive.org on the Petroworks.com, however, couldn't locate...maybe because I'm not a member.

Since you mention the starter circuit, I do have issue with starting. I added a "clicky starter fix" a few months ago and it helped, but it seems to be starting again. Is there a clutch switch that I need to check?

Thanks for clarifying!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I prefer to lube cables before installation. I use a graphited lock fluid (Lock-Ease); others may work. A used cable could have the same problem as yours -- they all will eventually. By hanging the cable vertically and flushing it with lube, you wash out the accumulated abrasive dirt & grime, leaving a lubricated surface behind.

Download a copy of the FSM. If you're serious about this you should have a copy. The very first Google hit will show you where. There's a huge amount of information you can find by searching. Acksfaq.com is another useful resource. There's a nice, color schematic by "Dice" in my gallery. Trace out the wires and you'll see that the clutch switch is in series with the starter-solenoid wire from the ignition. It must be closed (clutch pedal depressed fully) to complete the circuit.

The archive.org site works. It's another resource you should have. Try clicking on the link again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the detailed information. I'll get the FSM downloaded and saved as well as the saving the sites. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Merlin............just wanted to let you know that I swapped out the clutch cable. I lubricated/cleaned it well before installing. I CAN'T BELIEVE THE DIFFERENCE!!!! I can almost push the clutch in with my pinky toe and shift gears with my pinky finger. It is so smooth. No more screechy noise or jamming the clutch pedal to the firewall. Thanks for your guidance!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts