Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently just did a long block overhaul on my 87 samurai. Everything went back in great... Except one problem my transmission isn't going into gear when it was before the rebuild. I did install the the engine while tranny was in gear. Could the engine install with the tranny in gear have something to do with this??

·
Super Moderator
17,568 Posts
Could the engine install with the tranny in gear have something to do with this??
Doubt it.

I'd suspect a clutch cable issue, first off.

How much free-play do you have at the pedal top? Over an inch, I'd suspect the adjustment, the cable, its improper routing or a bracket collapse where it fastens to the firewall. ;)

If not there, then a release bearing or release arm assembly mishap.

And welcome aboard!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doubt it.

I'd suspect a clutch cable issue, first off.

How much free-play do you have at the pedal top? Over an inch, I'd suspect the adjustment, the cable, its improper routing or a bracket collapse where it fastens to the firewall. ;)

If not there, then a release bearing or release arm assembly mishap.

And welcome aboard!
I've adjusted the free play. It also says that says my pedal heights should be even with the break pedal which isn't possible. The tranny goes into gear while engine is off though. I've also backed off the free play as well.

·
Super Moderator
17,568 Posts
The pedal matching heights being equal isn't as important as the free-play need of no more than an inch and enough pedal THROW to allow for sufficient clutch arm actuation.

Does the clutch cable END move in and out about an inch total WITH SIGNIFICANT RESISTANCE when observed at the clutch arm? :huh: It should.

The tranny goes into gear while engine is off though.
That is normal, clutch issues or not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts