Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first things first, its not the clutch cable. Basically clutch started grabbing and not slipping as it should when i press the clutch pedal down. i adjusted the cable. Still gradually it started grabbing more and more. I replaced the cable with a new one and adjusted it properly. still nothing. Eventually it wouldnt slip at all. So anyways, new clutch cable installed, no difference. Got a new stage 3 oem ceramic clutch. installed it as well as a new....
1. clutch cable
2. new clutch and pressure plate
3. new throwout bearing
4. 2 new clutch fork bushings
5. 1 new clutch fork spring
6. new pilot bearing for flywheel
7. resurfaced flywheel
8. reinstalled tranny after i rebuilt it as well and installed 6.5 gears in the tcase.
Anyways,there is still no difference and i am at witts end. I also looked at the linkage pedal side and it is not slipping. previous owner had welded that piece. So i reinstalled old clutch, only reason i replaced it was because i thought it was bad but its brand new i thought previous owner was bsing me when it started to grab. Anyways old clutch and old pressure plate have the same story as the new one. Only thing left i have not tried is the transmission front input housing its slightly grooved but regardless the throwout bearing operates smoothly and is lubed appropriately. the clutch fork works and is not fractured or bent or binding the throwout bearing to the shaft. I am thoroughly frustrated and cannot figure this problem out. Any help would be greatly appriciated! I have dropped the tranny 5 times so far to get 0 results with the clutch. It will shift fine even when running but with the tcase in neutral. under load it will not shift of course without the ability of the clutch unless i want to force it and strip my brand new syncros. So please any advice would be much appriciated. i have scoured the internet and everyone says adjust cable, replace cable, bent fork, bad pedal clevis etc etc. i have checked all of those possibilities and its none of those...anything else. Oh and this is my first time to the fourum. This is an 87 samurai

·
Registered
264 Posts
Well, looks like all you have left to replace is the input shaft housing. There is one other thing you might check.
I have a Samurai transmission on my bench I'm rebuilding right now. Waiting on a new low gear shift fork and some circlips. I also decided to replace the input shaft, as the old one had quite a bit of scoring at the pilot bushing bearing surface. The new input shaft is A LOT longer where it fits in the pilot bushing. I'll check it before I install it to make sure it doesn't bottom out against the flywheel. Could this be happening in yours, causing the input shaft to still be live, even when the clutch is depressed? Just a thought.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts