Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently installed a new clutch cable I bought from Rockauto. The cable is the Beck Arnley 093-0642 (advertised as 74 inches but I didn't measure it, with rubber stopper).

1) The cable is unable to reach the radiator support.

2) The threaded end is not long enough for me to get any freeplay.

I have the pedal height at about 6mm above the brake pedal. The index marks for both the clutch pedal and the lever arm at the tranny are lined up. Did I get the wrong cable? Has anyone had Rockauto ship the wrong cable before? I don't feel like I could route the cable any differently to get more length without putting the cable dangerously close to rotating parts but that wouldn't make up the threaded portion anyway.

·
Super Moderator
25,551 Posts
Factory specs indicate a 5mm difference between brake and clutch pedal (clutch being the higher pedal), so this seems to be pretty much ok with your car. But I will ask how you are routing your cable? The radiator support grabs the cable at only about midway the length of the cable, so I find it difficult to picture why your's can't reach that far. I see the Rockauto lists this as a 'California emissions' clutch cable - I don't have a clue what that means, nor how a clutch cable has anything to do with emissions. ???

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have the cable coming straight out of the fire wall until it reaches a metal hook that supports it. From there it starts to bend down and toward the passenger side of the vehicle. It routes between the power steering hoses and the belt that drives AC compressor. Once it is past the belt it should hook onto the radiator, but of course in this case it can't right now. It then continues wrapping around and up until it goes directly over the front differential. Then the rubber end hits the bracket that it rests in.

I don't know why they list an emissions either. All I know is that I ordered the longest cable advertised.

·
Super Moderator
25,551 Posts
Rockauto does have a habit of mixing 8v and 16v parts - others have had issues with getting the proper cable - I avoided all by just getting the factory one, as my original lasted over 170,000 miles. There used to be diagrams on the forum, but it seems they have been removed. Did you actually measure your cable when you got it to make sure that it was 74 inches end to end?? It is possible that they sent you the wrong one???
Mine goes straight out and downward from the firewall to the support on the radiator and then curves back toward the tranny. Basically straight out, looping at the radiator and back toward the connection at the tranny. I don't have power steering, however, but I don't see that this would make a difference, as the support at the radiator is at the bottom of the radiator, well below the hoses and power steering pump.
Just for your info, different suppliers measure from different places - some include the cable ends, rubber stopper, etc., and others just measure the cable itself, without either end.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think we have similar routing, at least no differences that stand out. Do you know if the 8V cable is shorter? I think I will just have to measure my cable. I'll let you know what I find out.

·
Super Moderator
25,551 Posts
Mine was 74 inches from end to end. Would be interested to hear your measurements.....for the cable ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I went through this last summer with my son's 1994 Sidekick. Parts place insisted they ordered the correct cable. It was the one with the plastic plate that bolts to the firewall, I didn't want it anyway because of this. The next one was metal and fit perfectly. Both were almost the exact same length end to end.

The threaded part that attaches to the clutch bracket, and how much threaded part was left for the clutch lever, was where the dimensional differences were. In my experience anyway. I had to lay the new ones along the old one to see the actual difference.

Best of luck
Curt

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since the cable is installed in my tracker I took a string and ran it along the cable, then measured the string. It was really close to 74 inches. You might have me by one inch Bex, don't let it go to your head. I must have it routed incorrectly.

I have the one with the metal housing. I rechecked the index mark at the tranny and it is good. I will recheck the index mark at the pedal.

Wondering if you guys have a metal hook that is about a foot from the firewall that you use to support the cable or if I am supposed to be using that for wiring instead?

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Wondering if you guys have a metal hook that is about a foot from the firewall that you use to support the cable or if I am supposed to be using that for wiring instead?
It's for the clutch cable, on the left inner fender (North America).

·
Registered
80 Posts
My Tracker is a 95, 1.6L 16 valve 4WD 5 speed. The clutch cable that was on it when I got it seemed to be too short from the threaded of the housing to the arm in the bell housing. I had little to no freeplay in the clutch pedal. the cable started failing recently and I just replaced it today with this one. Beck/Arnley Clutch Cable 093-0623

The old cable was at the very end of the adjustment, where it seemed to be too short on the bottom end. The new cable is in the middle of the adjustment and might be the one you need to solve your problem. I don't know the measurements, and it is too cold to go back out there tonight and measure. But it does sound to me like this part is your solution.

I just read that yours was the rubber stopper type. Sorry. I have used the threaded end housing in the bracket for the rubber stopper. It will work, but not exactly what you are looking for.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I figured out what part of the issue is. The body has a 2" inch lift, which is making it so that the cable housing is just barely unable to reach the support under the radiator. Now as to why the threaded end doesn't extend far enough to give me any freeplay at the pedal is a mystery. I have decided that I will modify the bracket that bolts onto the tranny. If I move the bracket back about two or three inches the cable will certainly reach the radiator support. Then I can use a coupler, two nuts and some M6 threaded rod to extend the threaded portion of the cable and viola! Problem solved. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts