Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having issues with clutch cables, especially an aftermarket one. I got on ebay and found one from India and decided to take a chance on it. It is brand new OEM but what I did not notice is it is for a RHD vehicle, the part numbers were different so I knew I was taking a chance, but it was under $20 shipped so ok. The cable is almost 12" shorter than the OEM, it looks like I can route it ok but the bend will be a little tighter than with the proper length cable.

Its a longshot but I'm throwing this out there because I have a distant memory of someone telling me that routing and length are critical. Obviously routing is a common sense thing to keep the bend as mild as possible. I would just try it and report back but with my shoulder acting up it will be a long and uncomfortable task to replace it. Any experience with this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've had a similar problem with an ebay seller ROCKSTAR9 Sold me wiper arms for a right hand drive sami! The wiper arms are opposite of the original ones. Be cautious when buying from India or anywhere for that matter.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a small world. Same seller. Rocksta9, without the r. I knew it was different and he stated the length and I never measured so I'll own it. I knew I was taking a chance. Normally I only buy from USA sellers with 99.8 or above rating. Sorry about your wiper arms, that does suck to be stuck with something like that. Maybe you can harvest the springs and rejuvenate your old ones.

I may do a mach up test fit with this shorter cable and see if I can route it in a way that the bends are mild. It's definately an OEM quality part and for under $20 shipped I felt like I could roll the dice since they retail for $70+ stateside if you can find one.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just for fun I tried to test fit the shorter cable, no go, the turns would be to sharp and routing around front of the engine was not possible. I picked up another clutch cable with the bracket and installed that instead. I found that the existing bracket has been modified for reasons I do not understand. It is a bit softer now but still firmer than it should be. I tried different routing options. Since I bought another Samurai recently I was able to see how it should be routed. On mine the AC and PS is in the way but I was able to get it pretty close. I think it will do now.

I still have that area of give toward the end of travel but its working and seems consistent so far. I'll recommend steering clear of the above mentioned Ebay seller.

All good now, at least for a few more months haha.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I plan on giving the ebay douche a negative feedback because he refuses to return my money. Let me know if you plan to do the same so we can double team the negative feedbacks on his @ss.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did send him a tactful response letting him know that the part number crossover he had listed in the listing (Y593) crossed to the correct cable but the cable he sent was to short. He did list the length in the listing but it still crossed to a correct number. I cited this in my message to him.

He responded quickly and apologized, offering a refund. I asked him this morning if he needs the part shipped back to receive a refund. I'll update when I hear from him. It seems we may be having a different experience with him, I"ll know when he responds. I would imagine shipping it back to India would eat up most of the $20 I paid.

I want to see how it pans out before leaving feedback, I have left neg feedback for sellers before but only on 2 occasions, I have 489 feedback myself and never received a neg or neutral. There were a couple times I had to just refund someone even though they were wrong, just to protect that. Thankfully most folks are reasonable. When did you order your wiper arms?

·
Registered
68 Posts
It seems we are having a different experience. I purchased them last year Dec. He has never offered a refund and I payed $42..I will never see the $42 again. I agree with the ebay policy I'm sitting at 445 feedbacks and no negs but I never stole money from people like this idiot has from me so let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
He was fast to respond, I asked him if he wanted the part back to create a refund. I'll cut/paste his response below.

Mr Tony,

It would make little sense shipping the cable half way across
the planet.

I have cancelled the transaction, and refunded your money.
Kindly check your Paypal account to confirm.

My apologies once again. I
hope this will not restrict you from choosing to buy from me in the
future.

With regards,

Rusy

-rocksta9

I have not checked paypal yet but I'm guessing he will follow through. I expected him to demand the part back to issue a refund. He did what I would have done as a seller. It is probably good that this came up as he does have a lot of items on Ebay and many are specific to RHD vehicles, I never would have even thought of it while ordering wipers.

EDIT: refund came through, I thanked him for handling it well and also mentioned the wiper thing.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He seemed like he really wanted to do the right thing. I have on a couple occasions made errors listing on Ebay and I come through with an immediate refund and dont require shipping back unless its a pretty expensive item. If its my error I pay for the return shipping to. I have lost money to keep folks happy, its just the cost of doing business I guess.

I'm going to do some adjusting on this clutch today and see if I can get it right where it needs to be. I'm still curious about that bit of give at the end of pedal travel, its a thing on this new samurai that I got to. The clutch is much softer but I still feel that and it doesn't seem normal. Maybe with a functional cable I can adjust that out.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its still a little stiff but working well enough. No more give at the end of travel if its adjusted correctly. With the aftermarket cable if I adjusted that out then sometimes it would not allow it to go into gear, so I was driving around with a misadjusted cable. Sucks for the TO bearing but were good now.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a new OEM cable but this feels like it will work well enough. I think routing different ways made a bit of a difference. While it works fine I can actually barely hear the cable creaking when depressed, glad I have a spare onbaord. Used cable, whatcha gonna do? It's still better than the aftermarket one that wont keep proper adjustment.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And here we are again, this effen clutch has me stumped. OEM or aftermarket cable, no real difference. I have to snug it up frequently. I thought I might have had this sorted but today it started out fine, was fine until I got to town and a few blocks in I noticed the difficult shifting and different clutch feel, I snugged it up and the problem still existed, even when rolling it was tough to get 2nd and 3rd gears but after several minutes on the highway I downshifted to hit my driveway it was fine again, and for the 3 miles up my driveway it was perfect (except for the stiffness).

WTF, When I re installed the clutch it was in nearly new condition, I know the stiffness it always has is tied in somehow. I would hate to tear it down to replace a clutch to find the problem still exists.

I noticed that the first time I adjusted it today the first 2" or so of clutch pedal play was loose so I reached up under the dash and the clutch lever where it hooks onto the cable and it did not contact and pull the cable until that first 2" is used up, yet the cable down on the clutch actuation lever was tight, I remove the cable and it slides back and forth easily and smoothly, even when I'm simulating the bends of its OEM routing. I have tried literally 5 different cables, 2 are OEM. It changes nothing. If I leave the clutch cable installed but disconnect both ends it slides back and forth fully and smoothly. Dammit S MF SOB CSing MF.

Any ideas before I pull the trans out again and replace the clutch with a new OEM set? I really don't think the clutch itself is the culprit but damn I've had enough of this.

Are there any other failure items inside the clutch housing, the forks, anything else I might be missing?

Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Might be dumb suggestion but how about posting some pics of how it's currently installed? Perhaps you installed it wrong..you never know.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is really only one way it can go on but I could post a pic of the routing. When I bought this other Samurai with the sweet clutch I brought it home and emulated the cable routing as well as I could around the AC and PS. It did make a little difference but not enough.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts