Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have read all the threads pertaining to this and they helped along the way, but nothing in them is helping now.

91 samurai 5 spd 4x4. clutch pedal started sticking, replaced cable, clutch, clutch pedal, pedal bushings, pedal bracket.

the pedal seems a bit stiff, then it binds about halfway through pressing it, then it releases to the floor. i have gone through 2 cables, 3 pedals and 2 brackets while trying to figure out what is causing the binding.

i have re adjusted the pedal and cable several times and also had a local transmission shop check my adjustments.

i am dropping the transmission and changing the release arm bushings and throwout bearing. while i have the release arm out i will check the fork and arm for damage. didnt see any damage on anything when i changed the clutch.

any help would be much appreciated since this is my fiances daily driver.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Do a close inspection of the transmission input shaft housing. The aluminum that the throw out bearing rides on gets galled, causing the bearing to "stick" as it rides along it, on it's way to push against the pressure plate fingers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks a bunch azelgin. there is actually a small nick on the input shaft housing. its super small, but im still ordering a new one. i just put the new release shaft bushings in and the realease shaft barely moves now. thinking i might as well change the release shaft too. also i noticed the release spring is broken. i think im on the right track, just getting tired of dealing with it

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, so i ordered a new release spring and shaft. william at lowrange doesnt think i need to replace my input shaft housing after looking at the pictures. so im stoked on that. gonna put a new release bearing in and a new cable. hopefully this fixes it. i have a new lift to go try out.

thanks again azelgin for the help

·
Registered
264 Posts
ok, so i ordered a new release spring and shaft. william at lowrange doesnt think i need to replace my input shaft housing after looking at the pictures. so im stoked on that. gonna put a new release bearing in and a new cable. hopefully this fixes it. i have a new lift to go try out.

thanks again azelgin for the help
I've got one of my Samurai with a clutch like you had. Push, push, push and whump, it goes to the floor. Very annoying. My 86 has a rebuilt transmission in it. I noticed the galled up shaft housing, but decided to smooth it up with some sanding. Seems to have worked.
Let me know how the shocks work out. I looked up the numbers you put up and might give them a try. About 1/2 the price of the OME.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats how william talked me into them. ill let you know for sure. gonna put the suspension together thursday

·
Registered
328 Posts
The Petroworks rebuilt transmission I put in my Sami had a brass collar on the input shaft housing. I'm guessing they machined a stocker down and then pressed the brass collar on it.

Maybe something a machine shop could do.

Seems like a permanent fix.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The Petroworks rebuilt transmission I put in my Sami had a brass collar on the input shaft housing. I'm guessing they machined a stocker down and then pressed the brass collar on it.

Maybe something a machine shop could do.

Seems like a permanent fix.
Cool! I'll be cruising plumbing isle at Home Depot. Should be able to come up with some copper pipe and epoxy, to fix that sucker up just fine. I'm thinking a brass sink tailpiece and some JB Weld will be just the ticket!
If not, I wonder if they sell just the input shaft housing?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
264 Posts
That's a pretty good price. I think I'll check over at Petroworks for the brass sheathed one. I'm still going to look at doing my own brass collared one. I've got an old Samurai transmission sitting in the shop, to steal the housing off of and experiment. There are some amazing adhesives on the shelves these days. I just got through gluing some all thread into some adobe walls. Couldn't be done, ten years ago.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i just talked to dave at petroworks and he said he could send out a modified input housing for $69. i forgot the core charge.

·
Registered
264 Posts
i just talked to dave at petroworks and he said he could send out a modified input housing for $69. i forgot the core charge.
Considering that if you need a new housing, your core is worth only the price of scrap, I think that's a fair price. I'll put it on my shopping list. I'm planning on rebuilding my spare, but its part of a long term project, which also involves transfer case gears and another engine build. I can't decide whether to give my wife my engine, rebuild her transmission and give her my TC, or, well, lets just say it gets complicated.
The transmission in mine is basically ok, except for the slightly tweaked main shaft, that vibrates in 2nd gear. I should have looked at it more carefully, as the previous owner cooked the bearings and got it hot. It shows the defect most in 2nd,. 1st doesn't seem to turn it fast enough and 3rd is farther down the shaft, away from the warp. Better luck next time. Glad these things are easy to work on. The spare has the higher 5th gear, but changing the TC gears will put the high range final drive ratio back close to where I am now, which is fine.
The wife doesn't want my transmission. Reverse/5th shift rail is slightly worn and if you "cut the corner" shifting into 4th, it might not let you shift quickly. The rail doesn't always lock into the neutral detent and you can't move the other rails, as long as one of them isn't in it's neutral position. I though I had welded enough material back into the notch, to correct it. Worked fine on the bench.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
fixed it!!!! so stoked!!! thanks for the help azelgin.

changed the release shaft, release shaft bushings, release shaft spring, release bearing, and clutch cable this go. got it all installed now i can push the clutch no problem with just fingers. feels better than the day we bought the vehicle. big thanks to Dave from petroworks for getting me the parts next day at no extra cost and all the input.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts