Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a 2006 Grand Vitara Luxury (2WD)...and now every time we go over a speed bump or hit a pot hole in the road there is a deep clunking sound that comes from what sounds like the front right wheel. I've checked the exhaust piping & hangers and they're all fine...I didn't notice any worn bushings anywhere...so my only other guess would be something with the suspension. (i.e. shocks/struts). My question is has anyone experienced this same issue?...and if so, what exactly was it? If we go VERY slow over a speed bump, we won't hear the sound....but if you're going 5+ mph over a bump, you'll hear it. Also, if it is a bad strut, how hard is the replacement and parts?...and should I replace both left and right sides?..or is it okay to just replace the bad one?... (I do a lot a work on Nissan engines...but I've never done anything suspension wise on my car or my wife's)...any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
13,770 Posts
Check the rear bushing on the front control arm on that right side wheel - it's kind of difficult to see because of it's location, but they are known to fail and clunk when they fail.

For the most part you can expect passenger side suspension components to wear faster than driver's side - this happens because ruts & pot holes will typically be on the shoulder or toward the edge of the road, but replacement in pairs is strongly recommended unless you have a specific reason for replacing one side only, for example, collision damage soon after replacement - in a case like that, the undamaged arm/bush/strut would be in known good condition.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, thanks fordem!

I'll have to take a look at that rear bushing soon then....and that would be great if it's only that since the part is cheap....Hopefully, the install isn't too bad.

·
Super Moderator
13,770 Posts
You may be in for a surprise - as far as I know Suzuki does not supply the bush separately, you have to replace the entire control arm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Super Moderator
13,770 Posts
I didn't check for the vehicle fit, but it certainly looks like that.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Also check the front sway bar link where it attaches to the strut.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This happened to both of my GV's. (2006 5door and 2010 3door)
Both times it was the sway bar link.

Replaced them and the noise went away.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks evodave (and everyone) for the help...unfortunately, I still haven't been able to get the GV in the garage to check everything due to other cars in the garage that are having engine issues....and the sound from the GV is getting worse by the day. Once I get the other cars out of the garage, pull the GV in and check the things suggested I'll provide an update to hopefully help others in the future.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I replaced the front lower control arm assemblies on my 06 GV and it did next to nothing, and before that i replaced the struts and shock absorbers on it to no avail also. Couple thousand for nothing, so let me give you what nobody did for me, real information. Most mechanics think ppl are stupid and barely know what shocks are and by the time they figure it out the garage has already made a quick buck, the usual shocks and strut hustle, they'll say the best thing you can do is replace your struts to which i say bull****. Shocks and springs will last quite a few km if your tire pressure is correct and your driving is half decent.

I even prefer my shocks more when their worn in instead of brand new because their far too stiff at the beginning. You bought an SUV for the versatility and the suspension travel so why would you want to drive something that feels like a solid chunk of steel.

May I suggest instead checking or rather replacing the swaybar end links and sway bar frame mount bushings and brakets with up to date greasable polyurethane bushings and a bracket outfitted with a zirk fitting or grease nipple aka. These better quality aftermarket parts will be cheaper than suzuki oem replacements by several times.

Parts needed. Breaker bar, socket set, sawzall, jack and jack stands, torque adjustable wrench.

And when you want to do your struts buy the spring compression tool and do it yourself and tell the mechanics off.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Also it is not easy to tell if bushings are worn many times and mechanics opinions whether or not the bushing is worn is very subjective as well. If a part fails I always try to replace it with a part of higher quality or your gonna do it twice over.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I just replaced the inner and outer tie rods with Moog brand ones on my Nissan 300ZX and they seem to work great so far and have good reviews....so I just ordered the same Moog brand (part# K750087) for the Grand Vitara from Rock Auto...went ahead and ordered both the front left and right ones. When I inspected the right one this past weekend, the entire boot was pretty much gone on the upper connecting point on the front-right wheel! (just the naked bolt being held on by the nut with no cushioning causing the clunking sound)....once the parts arrive, this should hopefully be a quick and easy fix!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Clunking sound gone!

Just replaced both sway bar links with new Moog ones last night...and the clunking sound is gone and it handles great!...here's a pic of what it looked like before I replaced it. (sorry for the blurry pic)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had the same problem in my GV 2007, turned to be a brake pad was a bit lose, changed them and the noise went away.
I also can hear clunking noise from the back. Went under the car and checked all the joints bolts etc... could find any thing lose so maybe it's the breaks.
:confused:

·
Registered
74 Posts
There was a TSB out APR/09 for front upper strut mount bearings. Mine had a mild clunk going slowly over speed bumps. There is a new part for those mounts: 41810-78K00 should be replace under warranty.

Tsb: Knock Noise From Front Suspension
SUBJECT: KNOCK NOISE FROM FRONT SUSPENSION.
MODEL(S): GRAND VITARA (JB627)
YEAR: 2006~2008
CONDITION: Knocking noise may come from the front suspension.
CAUSE: Insufficient dampening at the upper strut support, allowing sound transfer.
CORRECTION: Redesigned shape, and softer material used in the upper strut mount.

·
Registered
132 Posts
There was a TSB out APR/09 for front upper strut mount bearings. Mine had a mild clunk going slowly over speed bumps. There is a new part for those mounts: 41810-78K00 should be replace under warranty.

Tsb: Knock Noise From Front Suspension
SUBJECT: KNOCK NOISE FROM FRONT SUSPENSION.
MODEL(S): GRAND VITARA (JB627)
YEAR: 2006~2008
CONDITION: Knocking noise may come from the front suspension.
CAUSE: Insufficient dampening at the upper strut support, allowing sound transfer.
CORRECTION: Redesigned shape, and softer material used in the upper strut mount.
Where do I go for this TSB? there are no more Suzuki dealers in United States...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts