Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I hit an uneven spot or sometimes making a turn, my car is making a clunking noise. Any ideas what it may be?

I'm going to replace the sway bar link with new bushings. I will also add new stabilizer bar bushings.

A friend of mine told me it may be my ball joint going out. Can I replace just the ball joint? Or do I have to replace the whole control arm?

I just replaced the CV axels on both sides as well as the inner/outer tie rods. So I've eliminated those as possibilities.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also forgot to ask. How I can tell if the ball joint is bad?

·
Administrator
16,315 Posts
The ball joint is integrated with the arm and cannot be separated - to determine if it's loose, jack the vehicle under the control arm until the wheel is clear of the ground and then attempt to shake the wheel in & out with your hands at the 6 & 12 O-clock position - if you get movement repeat whilst someone else observes the joint.

As for the clunk - it can come from anywhere - ball joint, bushings, sway bar bushes or end links, steering rack, rack ends, rod ends, struts, struts mounts - literally any loose component in the suspension.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts