Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's it.. I'm doing my 91 Escudo up.. Now..its beauty in 2 wheel, and clicks when turning slightly in 4 wheel High..just bought it..all info be helpful I'll just eliminate each

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
That is the CV joints complaining,, are you doing this on a sealed surface or on loose sand/gravel

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had tested up my driveway, steep concrete drive and I make a sharp right turn into my driveway, clicks on the half turn not full lock.. Either way left or right.. Only just bought.. And tried the 4 wheel system bout a week ago.. I don't drive silly or use 4x4 anyway, haven't been 4x4 as I'm into getting vehicles up to standard.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do not engage 4wd on concrete. You will damage your transfer case or differentials or CV joints. Whichever is weaker. Only use 4wd on loose surfaces. Try it there and report back if you still hear clicking.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have hubs ?
They might not be going all the way in and when you do a slight turn might click.
Yall some good people, I'm not even a hardcore 4x4 man, it's a "just incase" truck for floods and a wagon to get my dog out, don't know how to sort hub engagement was going to get a cv but what? Cv n spine or outer? Now Im intrigued bout the hub but sweet.. More info is good got it like this, have done all lil jobs, bulbs etc surface rust, do that click and lower front bushes rear mount, exhaust and a brake cylinder then I'll be happy mechanically, oh and I got a new radiator and alternator to put in myself
  1. 94993

·
Super Moderator
23,743 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and to your new vehicle! I cannot tell from your photo whether your locking hubs are automatic or manual. To get into 4wd, do you have to go out and turn the locking mechanism?

It’s important for you to know that these vehicles are part time 4wd - you MUST NOT drive them in 4wd (hubs locked and transfer case in 4wd) on any surface in which one of the wheels cannot slip - so beach, grass, snow, etc., but never on a dry road surface....and especially not on a dry road surface while making sharp turns (when you do this, your outer wheel is traveling farther than the inner one).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the forum, and to your new vehicle! I cannot tell from your photo whether your locking hubs are automatic or manual. To get into 4wd, do you have to go out and turn the locking mechanism?

It’s important for you to know that these vehicles are part time 4wd - you MUST NOT drive them in 4wd (hubs locked and transfer case in 4wd) on any surface in which one of the wheels cannot slip - so beach, grass, snow, etc., but never on a dry road surface....and especially not on a dry road surface while making sharp turns (when you do this, your outer wheel is traveling farther than the inner one).
OK, was up a driveway bout 10 metres and I have a gear stick inside my cabin to change to 4x4

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
OK, was up a driveway bout 10 metres and I have a gear stick inside my cabin to change to 4x4
ok, thats 10 metres too far if on hard ground.
but what about the hubs? close up pic will help please.

·
Super Moderator
23,743 Posts
LOL, we all have a gear stick inside the passenger compartment to change to 4x4. It is possible to lock the hubs without the transfer case being in 4x4, as well as the other way around. But driving on a dry surface, even for only 10 meters, and especially if you are making sharp turns, can cause transfer case wind-up (damage to the chain in the transfer case), among other issues. Anyway what hubs???

·
Super Moderator
23,743 Posts
Automatic hubs. I will say that I personally prefer the manuals, as you have more control over whether or not they’re locked. Just for your info, here is the instructions on how to lock and unlock the auto hubs:
To lock: stop the car, put the transfer case lever into 4L or 4H, then drive slowly forward and the hubs will lock.
To unlock: stop the car, and then drive about 10 feet in the opposite direction of the way you were just going, then shift the transfer case lever to 2H. The hubs will unlock.
As you can see from above, this can be a bit problematic and confusing. For example, if you are stuck and rocking your car back and forth to get out, do the hubs stay locked or do they unlock, etc. Also, it’s pretty difficult to service the auto hubs, where the manual ones can be taken apart and greased each autumn. And you can’t tell by looking at them, whether they are locked or not. In any event, this is what you have at the moment - if you ever decide to go for the manuals, you can easily change them.

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Automatic hubs. I will say that I personally prefer the manuals, as you have more control over whether or not they’re locked. Just for your info, here is the instructions on how to lock and unlock the auto hubs:
To lock: stop the car, put the transfer case lever into 4L or 4H, then drive slowly forward and the hubs will lock.
To unlock: stop the car, and then drive about 10 feet in the opposite direction of the way you were just going, then shift the transfer case lever to 2H. The hubs will unlock.
As you can see from above, this can be a bit problematic and confusing. For example, if you are stuck and rocking your car back and forth to get out, do the hubs stay locked or do they unlock, etc. Also, it’s pretty difficult to service the auto hubs, where the manual ones can be taken apart and greased each autumn. And you can’t tell by looking at them, whether they are locked or not. In any event, this is what you have at the moment - if you ever decide to go for the manuals, you can easily change them.
On the other hand, if you use 4wd every time you drive up your driveway, it would be a royal pita to have to remember to lock and then unlock the hubs as opposed to just getting in and driving away.
What I do is start the car, shift from 2wd into 4wd, shift the tranny into reverse, back up 2 - 3 feet then drive to the top.
Once there, I shift from 4wd into 2wd and away I go.
The wife wouldn't bother with locking and unlocking the hubs and would just spin her way to the top.
I never bothered with it in my Toyota 4wd that had manual hubs, then again other than when it snowed, it didn't require 4wd to get up the driveway like my Trackers do, they are parked closer to the hill than the pickup was so they don't get a running start up the 15% grade.
I suppose my 91 GMC spoiled me with it having auto locking hubs also. I've never had any issues with the hubs.
It's probably more of a personal choice since millions of owners with them don't seem to mind or we would see millions of post regarding the problem.
;) we know at least one mod with a differing view & he's entitled to it.

Don

^_^

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Yes, auto locking hubs can be nice. As long as they work correctly.

The other time that you do not want auto locking hubs is if you use your TacKick as a towd. (Pull 4 wheels down behind a motorhome.) It isn't really and issue with the hubs themselves, it is how the transfer case works. If anyone asks, I can go into detail on why auto hubs are not good for towds.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
auto hubs are fine, until you get stuck and try rocking the vehicle using forward and reverse gears, they they undo, lock, undo, and eventually smash themselves to bits.

If they did a set like the Nissan Safri's where they had an auto and a Lock position then you have the best of both worlds.

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
auto hubs are fine, until you get stuck and try rocking the vehicle using forward and reverse gears, they they undo, lock, undo, and eventually smash themselves to bits.

If they did a set like the Nissan Safri's where they had an auto and a Lock position then you have the best of both worlds.
Oh, that would really suck now wouldn't it!!
I'll take a set of those for the 99 but the 94 is just the grocery getter.

Don

^_^

·
Super Moderator
23,743 Posts
Yes, auto locking hubs can be nice. As long as they work correctly.

The other time that you do not want auto locking hubs is if you use your TacKick as a towd. (Pull 4 wheels down behind a motorhome.) It isn't really and issue with the hubs themselves, it is how the transfer case works. If anyone asks, I can go into detail on why auto hubs are not good for towds.
Always learning, so ok, I’ll ask.....:)

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Always learning, so ok, I’ll ask.....:)
I've had them self engage when towing, don't ask me how but they did. I am still trying to work out how.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts