Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
88 Samarai: When turning ignition on I hear a click which sounds like it's in carb, then a second click between glove compartment and passenger door. Clutch is pressed and safety switch appears to be right. (If you don't press clutch, you get no clicks). Battery, Starter and Solenoid checked out and good. Can crank engine from the solenolid. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sounds like it might be the infamous "Clicky Starter" problem. As a start to trouble-shooting, measure the solenoid tab-to-ground voltage (when the trying to start) and report back. I'm gonna guess that's it's way low and nowhere near 12V. [A small cheap VOM, like the kind Harbor Freight sells, will be great for this task. They're frequently on sale for a few bucks. I (try to) keep one in the Zuk for just this kind of thing.]

·
Registered
616 Posts
If the voltage at the starter solenoid is lower than 12-13.8 V when the key is turned to start, the problem can be fixed with a relay installed inline with the starter circuit.

This common problem occurs when the starter wiring connections and key swiitch lose conductance due to age and corrosion.

Here is a do-it-yourself fix link:

clicky starter self fix and headlight relay - Zukikrawlers

The fix involves a common automotive relay (show your auto parts store counter guy the relay pinout in the above link. If he gives you a stupid look, go to another auto parts store), a 20-30 amp fuse with inline holder, some 18 gage automotive wire, 4 - 1/4" spade connectors, a ring connector (for the ground connection) and an electrical splice unit.

(Note: Merlin93 rightly pointed out via a PM that the fuse should not be so large that it'll never blow... You might be able to get away with an even smaller fuse than 20-amps - the worse that could happen is that it will burn out. If it does frequently "pop", double check the wiring before using a larger fuse. If in doubt, just buy a kit as described below.)

Most Suzuki offroad vendors also sell the complete kit for 15-20 bucks (US) plus shiping.

The following article from izook.com describes the installation of a Clicky Starter kit:

Clicky Starter Quick Fix Kit For Samurai | iZook - Suzuki 4x4 Tech Information, Accessories, Travel & Adventure

I am not sure if the vendor mentioned in the izook article is still in business as this article is more than 5 years old...

I hope that this helps!

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts