Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Australian 1994 Suzuki Vitara, 1.6 L with 16v, 5 speed manual and 4WD with 284k kms.
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 1994 2 door vitara recently and it doesn't start. Put a new motor in and when I turn the key neither the fuel relay or the main relay click. The car has no spark either. It used to have an immobiliser but that only inhibited the starter motor. It was removed and wires were returned to their original location. All fuses were checked and aren't blown. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Was it starting when you bought it, which presumably would be before you put the new motor in it? What I am trying to determine here is when did the problem first surface - before you bought the car or at the time of the engine swap.

Does it crank when you turn the key to start? Do the dash lights - chg, oil pressure, check engine, etc. - turn on when the ignition is switched on?

Do you have a volt meter and know how to use it? How were the fuses checked - with a meter or visually? Does all fuses include both the under-bonnet & under-dash fuse panels?

·
Super Moderator
25,128 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
I’m not terribly familiar with immobilisers, but from what I understand, there is a circuit in the key itself that connects with the ECU, in order to allow the car to start, so that even if wires were returned to their original location, the ECU is still looking for this signal. This would allow for a crank but no start situation.
As Fordem indicates, you need to give more info. For example, do your headlights work (they work off of a circuit independent of ignition).

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
I’m not terribly familiar with immobilisers, but from what I understand, there is a circuit in the key itself that connects with the ECU, in order to allow the car to start, so that even if wires were returned to their original location, the ECU is still looking for this signal
"OEM immobilizers" work as you've described, but, many after-market or third party alarm systems also have "immobilizers" that work by inserting a relay usually into the starter control circuit - all these do is "break the circuit" when the alarm is triggered, preventing the engine from being cranked if an attempt is made to "hot wire" the car. Personally, I've never used them, or to re-state that, I've never implemented them - the alarm systems on my cars have that feature, but I chose not to install the relay - with the alarm triggered I would still be able to "bump" or push start the car (one is a manual transmission) or get under the hood and trigger the starter from there.

Of course doing either one of these tasks with the alarm siren blaring would be unnerving, but then, I could just as easily silence the alarm by cutting the siren wiring.

It used to have an immobiliser but that only inhibited the starter motor. It was removed and wires were returned to their original location
This extract from the original post indicates that a third party immobilizer that interrupted the starter circuit was fitted and later removed - typically this is one wire (from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid) that is cut and routed to a relay controlled by the alarm/immobilizer.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
If the alarm was any good and installed properly, there would be a crank, ignition and fuel cut relays so if the alarm was triggered there would be no way you could bump start it and drive off.

But in this case, if it was removed and reinstated to pre install conditions car should start,

The fact the motors been replaced and has no spark, and no main or fuel relay which ground wire or supply wires been missed! Or fusible links failed?

·
Registered
Australian 1994 Suzuki Vitara, 1.6 L with 16v, 5 speed manual and 4WD with 284k kms.
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fixed. Nothing to do with the immobilizer. Just that the previous owner cut some ground wires for some reason. I tapped them on the body and everything clicked and the fuel pump started working. Started up.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
Fixed. Nothing to do with the immobilizer. Just that the previous owner cut some ground wires for some reason. I tapped them on the body and everything clicked and the fuel pump started working. Started up.
Yay, it was a ground or 3...well done, glad you got it sorted.

Reactions: Bear95
1 - 7 of 7 Posts