1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Administrator
19,092 Posts
Dave - try posting the question on AusZooker - I believe one of the members there has experience with a relatively inexpensive Chinese made device - a Launch Tech product.

Launch Tech makes the X431 line of "professional" diagnostic tools, and has (or is in the process of) releasing a less expensive "consumer" product that is essentially software running on a smartphone or tablet, and communicating with the vehicle through a Bluetooth interface - the price is kept affordable by selling the software on a "per brand" basis - you get OBDII/EOBD free and pay $40 per brand thereafter.

There's an iDiag and an EasyDiag, and the one I picked up was the EasyDiag for Android, using that and the Mitsubishi software I have been able to communicate with the engine controller on my Pajero iO, but nothing else - transmission, ABS, ETACS - nothing - I paid $90 total, and I can do most of what I wanted, so I'm not too unhappy.

I believe the AZ member has the iDiag and has had some success using it with an XL-7.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Fordem.

I've got the issue with the XL-7 not being OBD2 compliant :mad: , that's why I'm looking at the "knock off" genuine Suzuki diagnostic tester. If anything is going to work that should be it. Plus, it should be able to communicate with all the non engine electronic systems.

I've Emailed two of the SDT sellers and the English - Chinese language barrier doesn't seem to help. I've been told by one retailer they won't work on either vehicle (2004 XL-7 and 2011 Kizashi) :huh: and by another they won't work on pre 2006 Suzuki's.

There's (outdated) info here that suggests the genuine tool should work on the 2004 XL-7. http://www.m2kinc.com/pdf/100-special_ins.pdf

I guess it will all come down to the supplied CF card software as well? If there's different diagnostic software for Australia vs North America I could have problems.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the AusZookers tip too Fordem. A quick search and I've found a user who owns one- it appears to work on his 2002 XL-7, so my 2004 should be a no brainer ;). I've PM'd him.

·
Administrator
19,092 Posts
Do let us know how that works - I'm not certain what the difference between the iDiag & the EasyDiag - conceptually they are similar - I picked up the EasyDiag because the iDiag had not been officially released in the US (although it was available).

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do let us know how that works - I'm not certain what the difference between the iDiag & the EasyDiag - conceptually they are similar - I picked up the EasyDiag because the iDiag had not been officially released in the US (although it was available).
:D I've never heard of the "Easydiag" - off to Google I go.

I will post up the results once I receive it. I know another Aussie owner with a 2002 XL-7 has the Idiag and said it works perfectly. It will be a blessing given the non OBD2 compatibility of pre 2006 Aussie Suzuki's. :(

PS: It will be interesting to see if I can find any fault codes for the XL-7's climate control- it's been flashing "faults" for 6yrs. The aircon still works, so I just stare blankly at the flashing LED... and ponder the "seriousness" of the fault. ;)
PPS: I've tried the climate control fault code reading procedure that has been posted on here, but it doesn't work on my XL-7.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Administrator
19,092 Posts
They are the same company - go to the X-431 website, you'll see it says Launch X431, and if you take a look at the "about us" page, they identify themselves as Launch Tech.

Before purchasing, I contacted Launchtech USA about the iDiag, mainly in an attempt to avoid ending up with a counterfeit product, and they told me the iDiag had not been officially released for the US, which is why I opted for the EasyDiag.

By the way, the software apps are different - I was fooling around with the iDiag demo before I received my EasyDiag, and then tried to run the EasyDiag with the iDiag app, it does not communicate, and the error message is not very clear, it says something about a different product, and tech support never responded to my email.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay it's arrived.

Starting with the bad:
- The X431 software won't load onto my Android Samsung Galaxy Tab2 10.1 tablet (the manual says "Support any smart phone and tablet PC which is IOS or Android system." :mad: )
- The Suzuki software doesn't appear to be all that current ie. the Kizashi ( released 2010?) isn't listed as supported
- You can only find out the above info after purchasing the product as you need an activation code to get the Idiag software to load on your Android device.... :rolleyes:

The good:
- It lists the XL-7 as being supported and up to JB series GV.

I've paused at the buying stage for the Suzuki software (US $66). Will probably take the leap tomorrow, but some poorly translated Chinese spooked me (it appeared as though I may have been committing to buy the Chinses language version :eek:.)

·
Administrator
19,092 Posts
Ummm - you apparently have the iDiag, my experience is with the EasyDiag - BUT - I initially downloaded and was fooling around with the iDiag software whilst waiting for the EasyDiag to arrive, and then couldn't figure out why the software wouldn't talk to the hardware.

So - I did at one point have the iDiag software installed on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0+ and no, you don't need the activation code to load it.

I don't have a Tab2 handy (not a working one anyway) but, try this - go into settings, security and look for "unknown sources" and check it (Android, by default, will block the installation of apps that don't come from the play store) - mine was checked a long time ago so I could run a custom app provided by Dell Computer Corp for their support techs,

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the suggestions Fordem, but the Idiag app is straight from the PlayStore - and it's the PlayStore itself that is blocking it installing. It lists my phone as being compatible but the Galaxy Tab2 as not (so it won't let me download it onto the tablet.)

I get the feeling these problems might have started with a recent update of the Idiag software? I've Emailed the developer but don't hold much hope of a response. There is another review on the PlayStore with similar problems - "unable to instal on either Samsung or Acer tablets". I noticed that after I had problems myself. I left a review on there as well - it might prompt some action?

I couldn't find any way of downloading older versions of the software.

·
Administrator
19,092 Posts
I've discovered that some of the "compatibility" issues reported by the playstore relate to your geographical location - apps that are not compatible when I'm in Guyana magically become compatible when I visit the US.

To get the EasyDiag app loaded, I downloaded it as an APK directly from Launch and "side loaded" it - primarily because I couldn't figure out what I needed to do, after becoming frustrated when the iDiag app that was previously installed wouldn't work with my interface.

Also - whilst I can't be 100% certain, I do believe I installed the iDiag app whilst in Florida.

Google android side load and you should be able to find instructions.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found a way to instal an older version of the software- directly from the manufacturer's website Welcome to X431 Website . As you mentioned Fordem, the "safety protection" on the device needs to be over ridden to allow installation of non PlayStore software.

The software (a bit user unfriendly IMHO) now runs okay on the tablet, but wanted to do an update - I haven't let it do that yet.... I think I'm going to need to as I couldn't find anyway of downloading the manufacturer specific software. :confused: (The new update includes all the "big brother is watching" intrusions like GPS fine location access etc. So I was going to try and avoid that update.)

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
So, on the 2004 XL-7.... It connected and read data from the ABS, SRS, auto trans, engine (I think- it wasn't too clear and appeared to be combined with the A/T :confused:) and supposedly the BCM. There was absolutely nothing for the climate control system, security or anything like that.

I had historical fault codes for all four ABS sensors (no surprises- they're notorious for it), the "4WD G sensor" :confused: , outside temperature sensor and one for a CANBUS failure. I reset them all and they appeared to clear okay. I was able to monitor the outside temperature sensor and it was reading fine- so most likely a glitch. The ABS light hasn't been on for a good year or so - as I said they were all historical faults and not currently flagged. There was a test procedure I could have run where you jack up the vehicle and rotate each wheel (as requested) to check the signals - I didn't bother trying that out.

I would describe it's functionality as very limited- certainly it's not up to the level I was hoping for. It appears to have the capability - but only if the relevant vehicle specific software is fully up to speed for your vehicle. Clearly the XL-7 has only limited functionality- compared to what they claim the X431 can do. :(

PS: It's also full of "Engrish" and not the easiest software to navigate through. :mellow:

Edit: I should also add that these results need to be weighed up against the Australian model GV / XL-7 of this vintage (ie. pre Jan 2006) not being OBDII compliant. So I do now have access to a lot more info than I could previously access ie. no OBDII tool I've tried will connect.

·
Administrator
19,092 Posts
I've had mixed results - it seems to communicate with everything on my wife's Lancer ES (a 2012 EOBD model) - I can even tell you the "duty cycle" on the dome light, but on my 98 Pajero iO (JDM), all I could get was the engine controller, I was hoping for the AT controller, because I know that has a historic code - you can get the iO controllers to flash codes, but, clearing them has proven challenging.

As I mentioned before, I'm not too unhappy given what I paid - the interface that I use to connect my OBD1 Suzuki to my laptop cost me as much as the EasyDiag.

Oh - the engine & controllers are probably a single unit on that XL-7 - Suzuki started doing that on the Grand Vitaras, early GVs had them separate, later models had a single PCM that did both, the actual changeover may have varied depending on where & when the car was built.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
An update. The X431 Idiag software has been updated - I finally tried it on the Kizashi and was able to get into all sorts of systems, read live data, fault codes, reset faults, turn random things on/off from the tablet like lights, radiator fans etc :) .

I also just rechecked the XL-7, found the climate control system and got four codes out of it. One of them is being generated whenever I put the windscreen sunshade up - by the sunlight sensor readout dropping :D. So that's not a real fault (the Kizashi also had the same fault logged, I'm guessing for the same reason.) The ABS faults I cleared 12mths ago haven't returned.

There's also the elusive "fixed spark mode" listed under the engine ECU. ;) That might interest a few people.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.