Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My check engine light keeps blinking on my '94 stock Samurai and there is nothing wrong with the engine. How do I make it stop? My '02 Wrangler has a similar issue and my mechanic has a special key that he plugs in and it resets it's computer. The Samurai doesn't have all that computer crap. Is there an easy way to remedy this? Thanx.

·
Registered
111 Posts
How often does the engine light flash?
Is it a quick flash?

To the best of my knowledge, all the 88 has is a "sensor" light. It is triggered every 50k by a switch in the speedo. It can be reset with a small two position switch that's just to the right of the steering column under the dash, about six inches forward of the rear edge of the dash. Just move it from whatever position it's in to the other position. Voila! Good for another 50K. You DO need to check to see if the oxygen sensor is creating a 200 to 800mv varying voltage after the vehicle is all warmed up. These early models did not have a sufficiently complex computer to generate or store trouble codes. If there's a malfunction, the old-time diagnostic skills and knowledge are the only way.

But for your 1994, I am unsure if it is the same way.. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it a quick flash?

To the best of my knowledge, all the 88 has is a "sensor" light. It is triggered every 50k by a switch in the speedo. It can be reset with a small two position switch that's just to the right of the steering column under the dash, about six inches forward of the rear edge of the dash. Just move it from whatever position it's in to the other position. Voila! Good for another 50K. You DO need to check to see if the oxygen sensor is creating a 200 to 800mv varying voltage after the vehicle is all warmed up. These early models did not have a sufficiently complex computer to generate or store trouble codes. If there's a malfunction, the old-time diagnostic skills and knowledge are the only way.

Quick flash. I just found a hole in the muffler. Do you think a change in exhaust back pressure could cause this? Thanx- JW

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is it a quick flash?

Thanks Jack, for the info. My 88.5 Samurai has the check engine light staying lit - doesn't matter which way I flip the switch on the steering column. I'm guessing that means an "actual" issue, rather than just the 50K tick - any advice about where to start checking sensors?

Thanks!
ks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts