Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 GV, bought used, which I really love. It’s my third Suzuki, after a deer took out my X90.
Anyway the check engine light comes on occasionally. Each time I’ve had it scanned, by different shops, they tell me “It’s a venting situation, check the gas cap”. I do, tighten it, solves it for a while, then the light comes back,, I have three gas caps I rotate through. Two shops have said just change the caps, their scans find nothing else.
It’s not really much of a problem to change caps, just when the light is on, I can’t use cruise control.
Any ideas on how to solve the ‘venting’ issue>

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,517 Posts
If they are saying the code relates to the gas cap, they are guessing, you have a SMALL evap leak, which you need to diagnose with a smoke machine.. It could be, the cap (doubt), the canister vent valve (common), the purge valve or any pipe or hose...
The reason it reset is because you open it to atmosphere, and it comes back because it has a leak but is tested by the computer only when specific protocols have been met...

·
Administrator
16,665 Posts
I would start by asking the "shop" for the exact code, without that we're just guessing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Why not buy a reasonably price scanner and do the job yourself, instead of relying on what other ppl say.
A scanner is a good tool (if chosen wisely) that can be used on most vehicles, throughout all your motor vehicles life expectancies.
I just used mine (with an cable adapter) to clear a fault code with my Yamaha MT-09 motorbike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts