Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I own a 2011 2.4L 3 door GV, and i find that the headlights on it are absolutely woeful.
There are dark spots in the light beam, with high and low beam.
I've fitted philips +100 55/60 watt H4 to try to improve the light but not by much. I dont want to fit HID globes because its illegal and i hate HIDs in after market fitouts as it blinds on coming vehicles.

I was wondering if the 5 door headlights fit, the front end look the same.
I understand the plugs for the globes are different, thats an easy fix.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
So far as I know the headlight clusters are the same. The innards of them may have changed by model year. The front end was subtly changed for the 2009 year, and it's possible the headlights are not compatible between 2006-2008 and 2009+.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I have an Australian JT model.
JB and JT, i believe have same front end. It started from 2006 to 2013.
The small change didn't happen until 2013 here.

I'm getting frustrated with them. I have spotlights on when driving highways and country roads. As soon i dip the high beams, its like walking around on a sunny day to a dark room.
The headlight are not glazed over. Still look new and Suzuki want no part of it.
Other than this complaint, i love how it performs off road.

·
Registered
121 Posts
models with rear drum brakes have a slightly revised front end to those of the rear disc brakes. I'm not certain the headlights are interchangeable between the 3 and 5 door models unfortunately. I purchased trekker accessories on ebay and the headlight covers don't fit properly and i suspect that they are for a 3 door model as were the supplied rear floor mats.

So outside of upgrading bulbs you maybe stuck with what you have i'm afraid.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
GV11, why not provide some detailed photos of the inside headlight attachments and perhaps some of us can compare with our own vehicles?

I walked by a three door today and from the outside the headlights look like the same shape.
I have no issues with the light output from mine, which have the projector beams.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I believe the headlight housings are physically the same size, same bolt pattern, etc. It would be contrary to Suzuki philosophy to make a different system requiring different body mounts and parts. The only way to know for sure would be to do a trial fit, one way would be to purchase a single lamp from a breaker or eBay, just get a broken one for as little as possible. If it fits then you can get a new set of Depo lamps off amazon or elsewhere. If you do this and want the best possible lighting performance, check my post on the HID projector retrofit I did awhile back.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Changing headlights

Thanks for the responses.

So i took some shots of the headlight but unable to take some rear shots. Camera wouldnt adjust properly. Have to remove some parts to take a clear shot.

[/IMG][/IMG]

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Changing headlights

[/IMG][/IMG]

Not sure if shots are helpful, but i have been on eBay comparing 5 door and 3 door lights. The mounting tabs seem the same.
Going to the auto recyclers for a broken headlight is hard to come by.
Great idea though. I have been tring to get other parts, no one ever has a Grand Vitara to wreck.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Those top attachments look identical to mine. Try a wrecker here in NZ, there are heaps of GVs here. For a start:

Suzuki | Car parts & accessories | Trade Me

The service manual should give you an idea of any wiring differences between the 3 and 5 door models.

·
Registered
322 Posts
There is likely a wiring difference if the original housing uses a combo high/low bulb whereas the projector beam style has separate bulbs. But that would be easy to resolve, just get the appropriate plugs from theretrofitsource for a few $, or have them make a custom conversion harness for you. This part should be very inexpensive.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have results

Hello all,

After telling the Suzuki service departments, yes went to two different companies, I got no where.
They kept telling me the alignment was fine and had no other complaints from customers.
I had a few other issues so went back to my old mechanic to get my Suzuki serviced and repaired because Suzuki fob off my requests.

As my mechanic drove into his work shop with headlights on, he noticed that the headlights were extremely poor. It was not mentioned to him that I had issues with them.
Turns out that they were way out of alignment. Pointing right down.

So no more dark spots in the beam. The light spread in low beam is awesome.

Almost parted with $600 to get 5 door headlights to see if they do fit.
So sorry to those who wanted to know if it does work.
Thanks to those who gave me advice.
And a special thank you to the two Suzuki dealerships who obviously did not look into this problem.:mad:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts