Suzuki Forums banner

Changing gear shift selector

16K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Baratacus 
#1 ·
My gear shift has a lot of play in the system, and selecting 5th is a real crunch effort. Any OEM or replacement parts to tighten up / improve the gear shift?

I saw a guy fixing this exact problem on a Pay TV show 'Wheeler Dealers' last night and it looked a relatively straight-forward fix job on the Swift GTi he was fixing... maybe easy on a Sierra/Samurai too?

#2 ·
I love that show!
That gearbox uses an external linkage system, so no. not the same fix.
You want to replace the internal bushing (Shifter Sheet). You can read about it about 3/4 of the way down the 2nd page of this article on how to rebuild the tranny. Don't worry though, you don't have to rebuild the tranny just to replace the bushing, you don't even need to take it out of the car. Just pull the shifter from inside. 10 minute job after you get the new bushing.

Tranny pg2

Also check the locating bolt you see in the picture. Many of the Zook venders have kits with both.
A company called Zuks Off Road (ZOR) also makes a brass version that will last even longer than the aftermarket poly version.

#5 ·
Just give it a tug and it should pop right out.

Ok serious now... ;)
You take that boot off, and you'll see what you need to remove. There's 3 bolts that hold the shifter sheet and shifter in place. There's also a shifter locator bolt on the end of the housing to keep the shifter from swinging around in the barrel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.