Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how hard it is to swap out an auto trans from a 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive that has a 5 speed? And take the 5 speed from the 4 wheel drive and drop it in the two wheel drive? Both are two door 96 models. Thanks!

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you plan on keeping it 4wd, you will need a 4x4 automatic trans since the transfer case is "married" to it. Consequently, you will have the reverse problem putting the 4wd 5spd in the 2wd vehicle. Plus the 4spd autos are computer controlled, so that will have to be changed as well.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If you plan on keeping it 4wd, you will need a 4x4 automatic trans since the transfer case is "married" to it. Consequently, you will have the reverse problem putting the 4wd 5spd in the 2wd vehicle. Plus the 4spd autos are computer controlled, so that will have to be changed as well.
Thanks. I saw a real nice 2 wheel drive auto, I just don't want an auto for the street. I want an auto in a 4 wheel drive for off road. I got 34 MPG this past two weeks with my 5 speed, no way you will be getting that from an auto. ( I drive slow) I put in synthetic for the first time and got a mile per gallon better than my best. Not sure if it was that or it's getting a little warmer here in the Vegas area.

So you would have to have a 5 speed from a two wheel drive? The auto is a three speed.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Correct, you would need a 2wd 5spd to put in the 2wd automatic vehicle. Not sure if the cross members are the same or not.

·
Super Moderator
24,450 Posts
Aside from having to swap the ECU and harnesses for each, the 5 speed 4wd will have a longer main shaft.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys have convinced me to stay with 4 wheel drive. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts