Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The back half of my frame is rusted out on my 94 tracker I just bought a whole frame rust free should I cut mine in half and weld this one back or just take the time and change the whole frame?

·
Super Moderator
24,466 Posts
I suppose it depends how much time you have and how much actual damage you have to your existing one. Changing the entire frame is a fairly extensive job. I have been plating/adding new sections in for a while - this can normally be done in a day or two. As my car is my daily driver, I couldn't keep it off the road long enough for a complete frame swap.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not my daily driver right now to fix it right I would need to go up to the trans I'm kinda worried about getting it all lined up right verses switching frames but I need to replace all the lines and bushings almost call it a restore if I switch frames I was wondering if anybody had done it b4 kinda what to expect

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
If you intend to split the frame mid section (between axles) you will find it very difficult to finish accurately without a jig.....

....Philip

·
Registered
158 Posts
I say you cut the bad section off of your frame. Paint the end of the cut rails. Stack your frame on top of the other frame. Make new rear mounts to the body and free body lift. Lol. Get extensions for the brake hoses and migt have to lengthen drive shafts, but it would look neet. Like a highboy tracker.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
It's not my daily driver right now to fix it right I would need to go up to the trans I'm kinda worried about getting it all lined up right verses switching frames but I need to replace all the lines and bushings almost call it a restore if I switch frames I was wondering if anybody had done it b4 kinda what to expect
How are your welding skills?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree on not being able to line it up without a jig I work with a guy that has fixed 4 trucks by cutting them in half and putting them back together. I just hate to cut a good frame but afraid I'm biting off more then I can chew by changing the whole frame lol

·
Registered
158 Posts
Did you get a rolling chassis or a bare frame???

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I agree on not being able to line it up without a jig I work with a guy that has fixed 4 trucks by cutting them in half and putting them back together. I just hate to cut a good frame but afraid I'm biting off more then I can chew by changing the whole frame lol
Any time you have to rely on others you could be biting off more than you can chew. Keep in mind there is a good chance it will never drive the same again. But hey you only live once.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Not sure of your location but if they do motor vehicle safety inspections any cut/welded frame may have to be certified by an engineer. I have cut and spliced with no problems but you really need a table or jig to make sure every thing is the same. Not a real big job to change the whole frame just take lots of pictures and measurements.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought just a frame. And we have state inspection where I live but I got a sticker on it before I found the cross member that holds my rear housing was rusted in two. And I bought a frame as cheap as I could have a new pipe bent... Plus my frame is to rusted to pull my little boat trailer, or carryall

·
Registered
54 Posts
As someone who sees the effects of corrosion and the severe damage it can do in aviation maintenance, I would be very against cutting it in half. You won't ever have the same structural integrity as swapping it out, even if you can hack it up and put it back together and pass inspection. You would be more prone to rust, fatigue, and stress corrosion where your parts meet, and I would only attach the halves together if the more corroded half had been thoroughly treated and neutralized. Even then, you or your friend would have to weld like a machine to be sure it was structurally sound. That's just my opinion, but the choice is yours.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got my frame home ended up getting a a complete rear end with a ratchet locker. the new frame has a motor 5 speed trans and t case that I need to sell! my trans is auto geared 4.63 or close to it the the 5 speed is 5.12 should I use my gears or the new ones? I'm doing more hwy then off-road for a while so I hate to lose my mpg? The frame is on great shape no way I'm going to cut it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts