Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, yes, I searched. Couldn't find anything that pertains to my specific problem.

I just picked up a 94 4 door Sidekick. It has the check engine light on, so I have to diagnose that before I can smog it. I have owned and built an 87 Samurai and swapped in the 1.6 16v so I am familiar with the engine and how to pull codes from it. I jumped the terminals to see what the code is, when I turned the key to the on position the CEL flickers, doesn't flash like it normally should, it flashes very quickly and never stops. I was hoping it would go away by flipping the hidden switch but it doesn't.

Anybody ever have this problem?

·
Registered
467 Posts
any "clicking" sounds down by the ECU? I'd say the ECU is getting ready to go. Pull it and look at some of main culprits.

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
By any chance, is there some kind of an immobilizer in this car??
Just in case the problem is with the main relay, you can switch out the fuel pump relay (the green one) into the main relay slot and try again - the two relays are the same. Presumably you are jumping the blue/yellow to the black wired pins in the diagnostic connector.
Does the car start and run properly?
Anyway, you probably should pull the ECU and open it - this may very well be an indication that the capacitors need to be changed out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No immobilizer that I know of. I'll try switching the relays. Car starts and runs perfect. Absolutely no problems, I have been driving it daily for about a week now. I just need the damn check engine light to blink properly to tell me what is wrong so I can fix it and get it smogged.

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
Ah, ok, car running ok, so if 'ok' is what I think 'ok' is, then it would not be your relays, etc. I would then probably check the actually wiring from the diagnostic connector to the ECU - when you are getting the codes, you are jumping the blue/yellow to black wire. With key on, you should have battery voltage at the blue/yellow, and no voltage on the black wire. This could just be a wiring problem. That blue/yellow wire runs to the yellow connector at the ECU, top row third from right pin as you are looking at the back of the connector. So you can check that wire from the connector to the ECU as well.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
If you have a short on the under bonnet diagnostic connector on the duty check terminal then the ECU will flash the ISC duty cycle.

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
If you have a short on the under bonnet diagnostic connector on the duty check terminal then the ECU will flash the ISC duty cycle.
Interesting! Of course, normally ISC = idle speed solenoid on this forum, which doesn't have a code AFAIK, so are you talking about the idle circuit in the TPS? Like code 44/45?? What code will it throw with the short, and what else could cause the CEL just to continually fast blink with no codes being thrown??

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Normally you'd use a scan tool to check the duty cycle, it should be around 50%. If you have a jumper in the duty output terminal then you can check the duty cycle using a scope or a duty cycle meter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.