Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1989 1.3 Samurai,if I remove the catalitic converter,will this cause a problem with the ECM?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Is there any noticeable improvement in power or MPG by removing it? I'm smogging my Sammy this week so I don't have to worry about it for another 2 years. Getting the itch to cut it out and weld in a straight pipe after I smog it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If it is able to pass, you won't notice any improvement in performance or fuel economy. If it is clogged, you would notice an improvement in both areas. If it is clogged, it won't pass, and you'll have to get a new one installed.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Makes sense. The cat is new as the seller couldn't get it to pass smog until he put a new cat on it. He tried 5 times and it would not pass. LOL.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Mine barely passed with a new cat and a fresh engine and carb. I think it was due to a poorly sealing egr balance hose. Passed with flying colors on CO and HC, but just nicked by on NOx.

Always do a pre-test with these if you live in a area where you can get gross polluter status. Mine would have gotten me gross-polluter on the first try, but I was able to go home and tweak it for the second try.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts