Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of mufflers do you guys like? or do you want an in-line type muffler and just a tip coming out.

Personally what I'm doing, is I couldn't find any muffler tips that were perfect so I'm putting an inline one in, then putting a 3" super polished pipe on the end, then flame treating to to have a purple color to it. But all you'll really see is a pipe coming through a hole in the bumper, and sitting flush with my rear bumper.

Also would you guys like the cat-backs muffler/tip to sit just below the bumper, or would you like to have to cut out some of the bumper to have it fit cleaner?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I like the "sit just below the bumper" idea...
As far as the muffler goes it's not a big deal too me, an in-line sounds good.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
id rather not cut the bumper. now what exactly do you mean by inline muffler? something like sidepipes? or purple hornies i think there called? where its just a straight pipe with packing in it? if so will the packing be replacible like with some side pipes? or just a regular performance type mufler like the dynomax or whatever some people are running with?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
im sure he means a resonator with some piping and then a tip...the muffler wont be at the very rear of the exhaust system. usually the packing isn't replaceable. you usually have to cut out the old and weld in new...or you could probably get some flanges so you can change them out yourself pretty easily.

i cut my bumper just a little bit, but it made one hell of a difference as far as looks. it looks more like it came with the car...it could go a little bit higher, but i wasn't there when the shop decided how much they bent the last pipe. oh well, it still looks/sounds good

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
7-even said:
id rather not cut the bumper. now what exactly do you mean by inline muffler? something like sidepipes? or purple hornies i think there called? where its just a straight pipe with packing in it? if so will the packing be replacible like with some side pipes? or just a regular performance type mufler like the dynomax or whatever some people are running with?
No, basicly a resonator.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CAT-back prototype will be done next week.

Sorry guys but you're going to have to cut into your bumper, unless you get creative with the exhaust hangers. Granted my cars lowered more than most of you, but if I put the muffler on without cutting the bumper than it would have been ripped off within a week easy and my rear bumper bottoms out less with the extra 3" drop over lowering springs cuz it's so much stiffer. So for you guys with lowering springs, if you don't cut your bumper to raise the muffler you'll probably end up with a crush bent muffler...custom done by the road itself. Also having the muffler below the bumper looked really out off place. The only other option we had would have been to just have a turn down muffler and you wouldn't see any of the exhaust from outside the car, which I think most people wouldn't like.

btw we're most likely going to be using some megnaflow canister style muffler with 2.25" in and 4" out. There weren't many other choices, and this is the basic style muffler for a cannon one, not to mention magnaflow is amazing for performance and quality.

Also I don't think it'd be that hard to do custom cat-backs, where you chose the muffler, it would be extra but if you really hated our style muffler then it might be worth it

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think a short oval shaped can would solve some people's lowering issues. A compact version of the old Greddy SP1 can would look really nice. Shiny polished rear of the can makes for some nice bling for the people behind you.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey Kink that setup is fine, I could really care less, if that's the best way to do it then that's the way it's got to be done... I love Magnaflow so I am all for your muffler choice... Nothig wrong with doing a little bit of cutting...

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Easy E said:
Hey Kink that setup is fine, I could really care less, if that's the best way to do it then that's the way it's got to be done... I love Magnaflow so I am all for your muffler choice... Nothig wrong with doing a little bit of cutting...
We might get around to offering some sorta thing you can rivet in to go around the edge of the hole you gotta cut to make it look nice....but we'll see

·
Registered
163 Posts
muffler

So, I'm still not clear here. Is this a straight through muffler? Or can we get something with at least some baffling to keep it quiet? I'm not looking to upset the neighbors here.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
If you get the right shape of muffler and place it carefully you can avoid cutting the bumper and still have it look OK. We were also debating cutting my bumper, but this worked out just fine:

It is semi-baffled muffler, but it has 3" inlet and outlet, so it performs just fine and has a nice stock/stealth look to it.

Scroll down a bit until u see the muffler pics

:: View topic - Turbo Optra - Another small mod & pics

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
e12345b said:
So, I'm still not clear here. Is this a straight through muffler? Or can we get something with at least some baffling to keep it quiet? I'm not looking to upset the neighbors here.
Baffles kill performance, if it's too loud we'll add a straight through type resonator

·
Registered
163 Posts
Cai

Yeah, but I just put my new CAI on, and it's much louder. I don't really mind cuz it sounds normal when I drive normal, but I really don't want a loud Reno. It would attract unwanted attention. How quiet can a straight-through muffler be?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
e12345b said:
Yeah, but I just put my new CAI on, and it's much louder. I don't really mind cuz it sounds normal when I drive normal, but I really don't want a loud Reno. It would attract unwanted attention. How quiet can a straight-through muffler be?
not very quiet. especially if you're running no cat and no resonators. i ran my car with just a straight muffler and SPT's test pipe for a while and that thing was almost deafening.

right now i'm running my car with a cat, a straight through resonator, and a straight through muffler. i am pretty satisfied with the sound output right now. like danny, i'm too lazy to bring my camera anywhere and get someone to record me.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
e12345b said:
Driving it normal you will hear the exhaust, but it is much like hearing the exhaust from the 350Z or M5. As it has a deep tone, noticable, but not like you will hear from a honda where it is always loud no matter what. The exhaust only gets loud if your gassing the car, and then it more sounds like a race car with a 4 banger. lo

1 - 20 of 26 Posts