Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about new carpet for my 98 Sport. Probably just a stupid question that I already know the answer to BUT!
While the frame is slightly wider at the front and even more so at the rear.
Folks claim from the firewall forward/rearward is mostly a regular Sidekick.
What about inside? I just need to replace the front section that ends just at the rear section.
The rear seat and cargo area carpet is fine.......any help would be simply put....GREAT!
Carpet is gray.
Thanks

· Administrator
19,885 Posts
Folks claim from the firewall forward/rearward is mostly a regular Sidekick.
Wouldn't that mean that the entire vehicle is mostly a regular Sidekick?

As far as I know, the differences between a Sidekick & a Sidekick Sport are mainly ahead of the firewall & below the floor - aft the firewall and above the floor are pretty much the same, and in this case, the part numbers for the carpets are the same (at least for the front section, I didn't look at the rear), so they will interchange.

· Super Moderator
27,351 Posts
The part numbers for the Sport and Sidekick are exactly the same for the carpet, for years 96 to 98, as long as you stick to convertible (if you are) or hard top, which are apparently different from each other. The part number for the carpet is different for the 95 and earlier Sidekicks…..

· Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so a regular sized 4 door SideKick front carpet will work on the 4 door Sport. Because I know the 2 door is shorter because of the floorboards in the 4 door.
Call me confused.
I am in hopes you are saying any 96-98 4 door solid roof SideKIck will fit just fine.
Thank you.
I hope I understand correctly as my feet don`t welcome the heat on long trips even with mats.
So now I can feel like a real fool knowing regular 4 door SideKick carpet will also fit the Sport.
Allow me to hang my head low and make no statement for being a "maroon" (Bugs Bunny)

· Super Moderator
27,351 Posts
You are the 4 door Suzuki Sport, and yes, any 96 to 98 4 door Suzuki Sidekick carpet will fit your car.

· Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Bex, can`t be much clearer than that. The story concerning having to replace carpet is/was a very bad moment in it`s history.
Again thank you. One order of carpet on the way!!!

· Registered
1,310 Posts
"we"?

I mean, do you really envision:

1. People making templates and then having the time, SW package and resources to digitize them / turn then into a DXF CAD file?

2. People going to a shop that runs extra wide format plotters and paying sizable amount of $ to get those outlines printed?

Well, you are way more optimistic than ill ever be...

· Registered
57 Posts
"we"?

I mean, do you really envision:

1. People making templates and then having the time, SW package and resources to digitize them / turn then into a DXF CAD file?

2. People going to a shop that runs extra wide format plotters and paying sizable amount of $ to get those outlines printed?

Well, you are way more optimistic than ill ever be...
I was going to attempt it on MS Paint and print using adobe, then tape everything together. I'm not good with technology and I guess it shows. 😅 That's what I do with my leatherwork templates, Adobe lets me print in multiple paper sections for larger stuff then I trace and cut.

· Super Moderator
27,351 Posts
I understand being able to digitize the measurements and come up with a CAD file for the carpet. But now, once you have that, how are you actually going to MAKE carpet??

· Registered
57 Posts
I understand being able to digitize the measurements and come up with a CAD file for the carpet. But now, once you have that, how are you actually going to MAKE carpet??
Outsource it to third world countries like everyone else lol
Was thinking hardware store carpet, trace the template and cut. Though I'm probably over optimistic as it was something I was thinking about while on the toilet.

· Registered
1,310 Posts
let me give you a tip for a quicker turnaround from a hands-on industrial designer:

buy a roll of packaging corrugated cardboard. cut by eye roll chunks slightly bigger than needed, drop in place and press by hand into corners. remove and cut at the corner folds. once you have all the bits, tape them together. in 1 hr max youll have great templates.

· Registered
57 Posts
let me give you a tip for a quicker turnaround from a hands-on industrial designer:

buy a roll of packaging corrugated cardboard. cut by eye roll chunks slightly bigger than needed, drop in place and press by hand into corners. remove and cut at the corner folds. once you have all the bits, tape them together. in 1 hr max youll have great templates.
That's a great idea thanks! I have another project I'm working on for my friends prius and can use the same method for that.

· Super Moderator
27,351 Posts
Personally, with my car living in the ‘rust belt’ for the entirety of its life, I have found that the carpet often hides a multitude of sins, especially as the sound deadening material under the carpet can be soaking wet, even though the carpet itself feels dry. I removed the carpet completely from my car, fixed the rust on the floorpan, covered the floorpan with a Herculiner type covering, and then used mats (small rugs) that are removable (and washable) instead of the carpet. Just a thought

Reactions: Bear95
1 - 15 of 15 Posts