Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some help or insight into why my 86 Samurai will no longer start or run reliably. It had been running well, but after a drive into work it started running rough and was down on power. I was able to drive it back to the garage, but once there could not get it to start.

Since then, I've fooled around with it a bit. If I let it sit for several days it will almost start. Engine will run for a few seconds, then just die. Trying to start again really does nothing as it just does not seem to want fire, but again if I let it sit for 4-5 days it does the same thing. I have since noticed that I can get it to run, just barely, if I just mash the gas pedal all the way to the floor. It will run, roughly, at very low idle, but will die as soon as I try to back off the throttle any from full open.

I've looked at all I can. It was running fine before this, and I am getting spark, good compression, and don't see any vacuum hoses loose or things like that. I know I probably just should bite the bullet and let a qualified mechanic look at it, but just wanted to see if any of this resonated with someone that had an idea about something I should check as I hate to pay to have it towed to a shop.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sure sounds like a fuel filter.
Give it a quick shot of starting fluid or a tiny bit of gas in the carb and see if it starts right up for that split second which would answer fuel starvation problems....(fuel filter, fuel pump, carb etc) i still go with fuel filter first.
Joe

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 93 had similar problem. Do the easy checks filter pump leaks around carb gasket. Make sure u have GOOD GROUNDS on pump and body to frame.
I found a good used carb for a hundred bucks on graigslist solved all problems!
So before I would do anything past above checks. Have ur carb rebuilt.
Good luck. I was about to take a hammer to mine a few times!!!
Lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts