Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 88 samurai with the stock 1300 and stock carb. the carb has seen better days. does any one know if you can convert over to a throttle body? maybe one off a 1600? if not whats some advice on a new carb. im building it for off road and i know the weber kits are known for not being great off road but that seems to be the most popular kit out there. i read something about a harley carb conversion does anyone know anything about this? i was also thinking about rebuilding the stock carb but i want to get rid of the 8 feet of vacuum hose and as much of that mess as possible. are any of those vacuum valves absolutley necessary?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The harly carb is not as common as the webber only because it's not been around as long and it's a bit more expensive. Weber is cheap and easy but not efficient and lacks preformance. The Harly is efficient and hard hitting but will cost you more. Other options are the Delorto, Solex, Mikuni, Suzuki and Weber side draft carbs. Require a lot more tinkering, and probably not worth the effort now that the off-road market has the Harly dialed in and lots of support and parts.

Going with a throttle body injector is an option, but lots of rewiring, sensors, and a new ECU in exchange for the vacuum hoses.

You still need vacuum lines for your brake booster, your dizzy advance, and optionally your evap cannister.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats good to know. i've done some more research on the harley carb setup and im thinking im going to go that route. i would rather pay a little more and have something that is going to work better. it looks like zuks off road has a nice setup for it.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
something else to consider. If you drive on-road and live in a state or county that requires smog checks... especially if it's a C.A.R.B. compliant state... you need to have either the stock carb or throttle body injection system for your smog checks every couple years.

I used to swap out my dual mikuni's every 2 years and put my stock carb on for my emmissions tests. Then swap them back after the testing. I don't drive my rig so hard anymore so gave away the mikunis and just run stock intake now.... I sure as heck don't miss swapping the dang things around when it comes time for my registration renewal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts