Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! samurai noob here! :p

Just bought an 87 samurai with a known carb issue. The window to the carb shows flooding and I've set the float a couple of times to where the needle barely opens at all. The guy before me put on a rebuild kit so the needle looks brand new. I'd like to swap it out for the weber but California wont allow me to smog it. It seems to run fine at a higher RPM level and all excess fuel gets burned off.

Thanks for any suggestions and info!!!

·
Super Moderator
12,173 Posts
Remember - the more accurate the information you provide, the better the diagnosis you'll get in response.

Define carb "flooding" as you are experiencing it.

The window on the car allow you to see the fuel level in the float chamber, it will allow you to see if that level is higher than it should be, but that is not necessarily defined as flooding.

Does the needle valve cut off the fuel flow at some point? Yes? I would say it's not flooding the engine. No, then you do have a flooding problem, the valve probably needs to be replaced.

If you're having a problem with the float level being higher than it should be despite your attempts to adjust it (which is how I interpret your post), I suggest you take a look at the fuel pressure - are you running the original fuel pump? Is the return line to the tank blocked?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flooding as in its getting too much fuel, aka, over the top of the sight line in window, spitting out the top of the carb, stinking up the exhaust, doest run proper till you get moving at 3 grand for a few minutes to burn off all the excess in the bowl.

Stock fuel pump, new seat and needle, return line working, checked floats to make sure they actualy "float"...Actually I solved the problem by lowering it to almost double of spec (8mm) to 14.5mm. Level in window is perfect and runs pretty good.

Although I have a choke that doesn't want to open as well. I already did the adjustment to line up the cam to the mark on the throttle linkage, but I dont think the vac assist thing is working.

I have a couple vac line q's if anyone can tell me where the line that comes off the bottom of the air cleaner assembly goes or if it is necessary? There is one caped off port near the firewall side of the intake manifold, and a nipple busted off of a vac switch or something near the rear driver side of the carb, it's light blue.

·
Super Moderator
12,173 Posts
I take it now that you have set the float correctly, it's no longer flooding ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts