Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
87 sammy used for off roading mostly but street legal. I want to use it on the road and around the city for better gas mileage but still be able to take it off roading on the weekends.
I recently replaced the spark plugs because they were fouling I found that my timing was at 19degrees advance and it ran horribly. i adjusted the timing up to around 25degrees advance and it ran like a champ got it up to 50 on my private road. ran it for prob an hour getting up to speed and off roading a little and everything. got home turned it off let it sit for a min or two and went back out and got it back up to speed and when i floored it it started to die and run like crap.
I have recently fell into some money and am looking at getting a new carb and putting it in the shop for changing the timing belt.
I want to get a new carb cause that seems to be a big issue with it but is there anything else that i need to check or maintence before i look at getting it back on the road and trust worthy?
sorry for the long text but the more info i give now i figure that will leave less to guessing. thanks for any advice

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also does anyone know of a manual choke conversion i think some of my carb problems may be from that and if i could just convert it to a manual choke that would be ideal? anyone know or heard of this before i hate the water choke thing its annoying
thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
i tied straped mine open all the time problem solved.central california.pump it bout 10-15 times every morning and it turns on.after 2 minutes running the whole day it runs fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Toyota Corolla carb. swaps and you put a cable on it for the choke. Just Google Toyota carb swap there is alot of info on them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
your timing should be at 10 degrees BTDC at 800 RPM if set to high it wil be to advaned at higher rpms and can damage the lower end of the motor (crank and rod barrings) also it can make run bad at higher speeds. It will sound and run good at low rpms with the timing to advanced but the damage it can do at higher rpms will shorten the life of your motor a lot.

Try hitting all the linkages on the carb with some carb cleaner and a good spray lub aand work the choke plate back and forth by hand untill it moves freelt a lot of choke problems can be caused by just some sticky linkages.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts