Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on lifting my Vitara and putting some bigger tyres on, by doing this will I get hassle when I bring it in for a car test? I plan on using it for a short runabout but off the road 50% of the time. Any info would be great, thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think that mainly depends on the inspection requirements of the area you live. All areas have different requirements. What area do you live? If someone here is from the same area they may have some experience.

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
As you say 'Vitara' I assume you are not USA. You need to advise your location. Actually, putting your specs into your signature would be helpful, as no one can tell what you're driving.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
As you say 'Vitara' I assume you are not USA. ....
Unless he is talking about a 1999 and up...

Then he is the wrong forum.

"He" is not giving enough info... :rolleyes:

--------
*"He" is an assumption... could be a "she"... not that it really matters!

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
From your previous posts we can determine that its a RHD 93 1.6 8V with carb, Spanish built Vitara. Which probably means a UK mnodel, in which no you won't have an issue with the MOT.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Rhinoman, yes your right it is an english model. Sorry for not giving my location or spec. Im in Ireland though so it is a different test. Has anyone from ireland had trouble getting a lifted vehicle through a test?

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
Republic or North? If Republic, it appears that they do everything they can to fail you, frankly. More than half the cars in the test fail, and they thoroughly will test your suspension. I don't think that cars fail just because they have a lift, however.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your time Bex. I'm from the south of Ireland and agree with your statement on the fail rate for the NCT. Is it any wonder with the condition of the roads here. I'f the boy racers can drop a car 50 mm and get it through the test surely you can go up 50mm.

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
Certainly the logic is correct. Just be really vigilant about the suspension. Your 50mm equates to about a 2 inch lift. Body or suspension?? The NCT here is just a money making racket and has nothing to do with roadworthiness. I always laugh at some of the tractors on the road, held together with baler twine, that don't have to go through the test. My neighbor was failed because she had the tiniest rip in the stitching of her passenger seat. Of course, that rip made the car horribly unsafe. :eek:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bex I'm planning a 50mm body lift to start with and see what clearance I have, but I anticipate lifting the suspension aswell. I dont want to cut any corners on this mod as my son and missus will be passengers. I've seen people using box section for the body lift but I would rather pay for something that is better quality, and will look like a professional lift. Any advice on which body lift kit to buy would be great. Bex your right about the NCT its a joke, the last 500 meters to my local NCT center would destroy the suspension in a Sherman Tank.

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
I have no lift on my car, but forum gurus here tend to recommend a 50mm suspension lift first, which will allow you to put on larger tires, etc., so perhaps you would prefer to do the suspension lift first.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good info Bex, Will look at kit for suspension. It's an easier job aswell :) What size wheels can your get away with on a 50mm suspension lift, where i'll be driving is pretty flat and wont be crossing rivers or big obstacles so I wont need full articulation.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
I ran 215/80s on Samurai rims on mine when it had a 2" spring lift.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Rhinoman, those are just over 28.5 inches, I had the tape out and think they will work well. Out of curiosity what lift kit did you put in her? I'm kinda overwhelmed with the options available :)

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
I fitted a kit from a supplier who has long since gone out of business, this was back in 2000. The kit consisted of 2" lift springs and longer rear shocks. I made my own 2" strut spacers and added camber correction bolts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts