Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

First post, and an embarrassing one.
Im the owner of a 2008 SX4 1.6 DDIS and had it for 3 weeks. Not knowing much about cars or this one in particular.
I went to a friend today to help me check a few things with the car.
While doing that we removed the battery. When we were done i was in a hurry and didnt look proper. Put the battery back, reversed, and it sparked when i put on the cables. Now car is dead. :( after i turned battery around its no spark, no power to anything, but battery itself still has power.
We believe its the main fuse that has gone.
BUT we can not find its location anywhere.
Ive look in the RW420.pdf and im not really finding its location from it. it just mention the fuse in many places.
Can anyone describe for me where to actually find it, and what type of fuse is it, where to get it?

Again, quite embarrassing as well as sad :huh:

·
Registered
838 Posts
420 if for the gas 2litre engine. YOUrs would be 416?...diesel..I'll check....
Reversing the battery caused a large inrush reverse current through the alternator. NOrmally there is an inline fuse that will blow in that situation...theoretically saving the alternator...but maybe not....
Will come bacjk after a look to the shop manual for your model.
BTW, where do you live (and ad it to your profile)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replies.
I live in Ireland, Profile updated.
Will try and see if i can locate.

Thank you
Peter

·
Registered
838 Posts
Just off the side of the battery terminal. This photo is of the petrol version ...
yes, the top......and the bottom part is the diesel....140A fuse
I do not know if the 140A fuse (or any other in that block) can be changed individually..or if the whole block has to be changed . OF course....on can try to bypass...I'd do it but I'd disconnect the alternator for a first try....even with a new fuse block. If the alternator is shot, it would blow the new fuse anyway....

EDIT: ahh..just saw the picture Darrell....seems fuses a replaceable..GOOD..
BTW, peter,welcome.. people eager to greet you , as you see...!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys

This will help a lot. Now just to see if i can find any of those fuses tomorrow, on a Sunday. Wife was looking to do a trip at the country side tomorrow and have already given me an earful of scolding. in the doghouse you could say.

But thanks for the welcome and great support guys.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Have a nasty feeling only Suzuki supply this and you have to replace the whole block and it's expensive. Hope I'm wrong. I did see a post once where somebody bolted another separate fuse over the top, don't know how successful it was. I can't find used ones for the diesel either :(.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Did the reversing of the cables on my Hyundai
Luckily I could crack open the cover for the 100 amp fuse and push the leads together to get it to work.
Later, found out the radio shorted out and the multi-function stalk switch shorted out
Replaced and $600 dollars later ... got the car back from Hyundai dealership
Learned my lesson. So, now I double check always to make sure polarity is correct before attaching anything to the battery.

I think the Nissans are similar that they have a set of fuses attached to the battery (cable)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure why my previous reply didnt get through.
But i located the fuse thanks to you guys, and yes its blown in the 140amp. Now just to see where to find a replacement part that dont cost too much. If i would chose to go with a fusible link, what are your experiences of that? can one trust that they do the max amp they say? or risk of sending too much or not enough power through?

Again, Thank you all for amazing support so far.
Peter

·
Registered
838 Posts
...can one trust that they do the max amp they say? or risk of sending too much or not enough power through?..
THe fuse does not decide the amount of current....the load connected to the fuse does. THe fuse only limits the maximum current ...by blowing if the load want to exceed.

Before installing a new fuse, I would first test the alternator ..this can be done with a multimeter...but you must know how to interpret the reading.

Well..one easy way is to use a 12v light, like a headlight bulb...connected on one side to the +12V of the battery, the other side to the alternator power wire...if the light stays off, then the alternator is OK...well...at least, not shorted, meaning it will not blow the new fuse, whatever it is. THen you can install a new fuse with no fear of blowing it again. THen time will tell if the alternator has kept all of its charging power...because a diode ..or several (there are 6) ..can blow open...then not charging full power....or not at all in worst case. But you will see that once the engine runs and you turn lights , blower ON. IF voltage holds around 13, 14 v, then the alternator is OK.
If you need more explanations, come back....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts