Suzuki Forums banner

Can't get stock strut brace on

4K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Pstringer1334 
#1 ·
Hello, I purchased a 1999 grand vitara recently... When I got it the strut brace was in the back seat. I now go to reinstall it and it almost seems to long (about a 1/2 inch) how do I compress it enough to fit back on?

#2 ·
It appears that this vehicle has been subjected to front end damage. :(

A frame alignment shop can pull in and evaluate the degree of damage affecting the brace mounting issue.

Hopefully it is easily correctable.

#4 ·
Not if the brace was under strain, force removed and the mounting points spread / relaxed to their current location. :(

I assume that the brace appears unharmed?

#6 ·
Jack the front of the car off the ground and put it on stands (underneath the frame rails near the front jack points) - anyone who has taken that brace off will know, from experience, that the front end sags when the brace is removed - take the weight off the front wheels and the frame will "relax" enough for you to bolt the brace back into place.

#8 ·
You're welcome - I suspect your vehicle may have had a little of a "more permanent sag" from being driven with the brace removed - they usually go back on fairly easily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.