Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 Geo Tracker 1.6l 16v 2dr. 5spd mt.

My fuel pump went out so I had to drop the gas tank. Many rusted screws and broken off bolt's later the tank is finally out. I've decided to replace all the hoses and gaskets also because I hope I never have to do this again. The problem I'm having is finding a fuel gauge sender seal as well as the fuel pump to tank gasket.

Lots of sellers list the Spectra LO95 and Spectra LO114 or Bosch 8212 but their all out of stock. If push comes to shove I could just reuse the old one but I'm hoping I don't have to. I am also thinking about replacing the 6 Philip head screw with bolt's on the fuel pump to make it easier to remove in the future.up. Thanks any help.

·
Super Moderator
15,012 Posts
Is the art of making gaskets from gasket paper lost forever?

Reactions: Bex and ArroyoRat

·
Registered
'91 Tracker (CAMI) 1.6-8v, 5spd-4WD
538 Posts
Just like Fordem, I wonder, as well.
Traykee, for this one all you need is: an 8 sq. in. sheet of gasket material, good scissors or X-acto knife, a drill bit sized for bolt holes, a felt-tip marker and a piece of plywood or wooden table to perform the surgery.
Cost: probably, $3.00 and about 10 minutes of your free time.
Just in case you get frustrated by running all over and not finding a ready-made one.

·
Super Moderator
15,012 Posts
X-acto knife? drill bit?
Give me the gasket material, the tank, a ball peen hammer and ten minutes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

My fuel pump went out so I had to drop the gas tank. Many rusted screws and broken off bolt's later the tank is finally out. I've decided to replace all the hoses and gaskets also because I hope I never have to do this again. The problem I'm having is finding a fuel gauge sender seal as well as the fuel pump to tank gasket.

Lots of sellers list the Spectra LO95 and Spectra LO114 or Bosch 8212 but their all out of stock. If push comes to shove I could just reuse the old one but I'm hoping I don't have to. I am also thinking about replacing the 6 Philip head screw with bolt's on the fuel pump to make it easier to remove in the future.up. Thanks any help.
Thanks

Thanks fellas, I was trying to get my parts lined up before I finished getting the tank out and cleaning it up. Now that tank is out and cleaned it's looking worst than I thought, gonna have to buy a new one. If I'm lucky I'll get gaskets with a new tank if not I'll make one like you suggested.

·
Super Moderator
24,976 Posts
You may want to try searching using the factory part number:

Reactions: Bear95

·
Registered
1995 Geo Tracker 2 dr Conv 2WD Manual trans 16 valve
28 Posts
New tanks are $100 and worth it. 25 year old tanks are full of rust and crud. I changed my tank and fuel pump and now have a nice running Tracker. Do it once the right way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New tanks are $100 and worth it. 25 year old tanks are full of rust and crud. I changed my tank and fuel pump and now have a nice running Tracker. Do it once the right way..
Yes I agree with you. My tank was a mess because it was sitting for a long time. I clean the inside out with muriatic acid which got rid of all the crap inside so it was spotless. The problem was 3 pinholes that were around the breather hose and a couple on the return tube. I probably could have fixed it with epoxy or brazed it but I wasn't sure if I had stopped the rust from spreading so I'm getting a new tank. The fuel level sender wires were all chewed up by a mouse or something so I'm replacing it also. The gasket problem is solved because they come with the tank😀 and thanks to the tip from Bex I now have a new source for part numbers.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My tank was 88$ shipped. Ebay. Gaskets included.
(these by the way are 1/8"thick nitrile I wouldn't recommend making them out of gasket paper unless you've a strong death wish)
Tank was also coated with some kind if epoxy paint.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
(these by the way are 1/8"thick nitrile I wouldn't recommend making them out of gasket paper unless you've a strong death wish)
I was able to get a new tank for $90. Mine comes with gaskets.I'll have to see what quality they are once it gets here.Now that I think about it I never said anything about the quality of the gaskets in my original post. I forgot to ask about that because I noticed some of them looked to be better made than others even though they all seem to be discontinued. One that looked better than anything else was the Bosch 68212. More Information for BOSCH 68212 I hope I get something that's close to that.

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
nothing wrong with gasket paper gaskets on fuel tank sender units etc, manufacturers have been doing it for years. They only went to nitirile as its more forgiving and seals easier, especially if using silly twist locking clamps rather than 6 or more self tapping screws holding the cover onto the tank.
If you are that concerned, use a fuel safe sealer on the gasket, like permatex form a gasket

Reactions: DL1 and Bex

·
Registered
214 Posts
nothing wrong with gasket paper gaskets on fuel tank sender units etc, manufacturers have been doing it for years. They only went to nitirile as its more forgiving and seals easier, especially if using silly twist locking clamps rather than 6 or more self tapping screws holding the cover onto the tank.
If you are that concerned, use a fuel safe sealer on the gasket, like permatex form a gasket
Sorry my freind. They went to nitrile because it seals better and safer. Make two periods. Paper us to thin and will, make that a dozen will not allow a proper safe seal on today's (yes these are modetn gas tanks) thin metal and plastic tanks.
Substition if a homemade paper gasket for the proper nitrile pump gasket is at best playing ignorant and dangerous. Please stay away ftom my car, my family, my neighborhood, and the rest of my world if your going to practice such slip-shod, corner cutting shad tree, bone head practices.
There are fiber meterials that are suitable and quailty cork us considered passable. But you can't really cut either corectly at home. The proper way to homemake a gasket is to peen it with a ball-peen hammer doesn't work so well on cork
We are talking petroleum folks do you understand what happens when a gas tank leak finds its way to a hot exhaust system?
Good Lord. I hope you guys aren't working on brakes too.
Your vehicle is a potential deadly device. Please if you are going to wrench on it and operate it on public roads please do it correctly and adhere to proper procedure, proper spec parts, and compatible chemicals. It scares the crap out if me with some clowns with a wrench will claim is good enough.
No wonder the manufacturers lobby congress ti pass laws to keep owners from working on their on vehicles. I for one don't want to be riding on the same road with a cars maintained by corner cutting slock method empolying wrench monkeys
When you pick up a wrench. Open a hood. Think safety, proper practices and correct materials first. If there if us a better way use it. Trust me you don't know more about proper methods and suitable materials than the engineers the develope and spec out these machines. For instance permatex is gas resistant not
gas proof.
By the way a heard bubble gum also makes a good pump seal (got it SEAL not gasket) if your real smart and chew just right ...⁸

·
Registered
538 Posts
"....By the way a heard bubble gum also makes a good pump seal (got it SEAL not gasket) if your real smart and chew just right ...
Well, I heard it makes the best earplugs when practicing at the firing range.... conforms perfectly to the ear canal and with the wax in there, it NEVER sticks
BTW, what's that tiny "8" doing up there by the word "right"? (I've highlighted it in red). Is it a reference number?:cool:
IT'S FRIDAY....LET'S GET READY FOR SATURDAY. (no more horror stories, please... enough of that on TV)

·
Registered
214 Posts
That's a magic 8. Wards off the evil spirits associated with fool hardy self destruction and such.
Now go play outside the fresh air will do you good.

·
Registered
538 Posts
That's a magic 8. Wards off the evil spirits associated with fool hardy self destruction and such.
Now go play outside the fresh air will do you good.
Now, settle down BOB.... I'm always outside breathing this good, healthy 3200 ft elevation air.
Thankfully, no need for oxygen mask to deal with the THIN, oxygen depleted, 6500 elev. air some folks have to endure.
Living in Ruidoso, NM for 15 years (6600 ft), I saw a lot of my neighbors literally asphyxiate and CROAK, so sad.:oops:
I didn't realize you were superstitious that way.
I'll seek out a witch doctor and get you some trinkets to wear around your neck.;)
Enjoy the day and BE SAFE, Bob!(y)

·
Registered
214 Posts
You bet. 8,700 here thats why I'm so backward thinking when it comes to explosive fluids and safety. Gotta learn to get hip and chill about these things. Whats a few kids burnings in the back seat matter anyway?

·
Registered
538 Posts
You bet. 8,700 here thats why I'm so backward thinking when it comes to explosive fluids and safety. Gotta learn to get hip and chill about these things. Whats a few kids burnings in the back seat matter anyway?
I'm with you, buddy.... no joke, for sure.
Take care.... gotta go run some errands before the Friday crowd gets dangerous!

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
Sorry my freind. They went to nitrile because it seals better and safer. Make two periods. Paper us to thin and will, make that a dozen will not allow a proper safe seal on today's (yes these are modetn gas tanks) thin metal and plastic tanks.
Substition if a homemade paper gasket for the proper nitrile pump gasket is at best playing ignorant and dangerous. Please stay away ftom my car, my family, my neighborhood, and the rest of my world if your going to practice such slip-shod, corner cutting shad tree, bone head practices.
There are fiber meterials that are suitable and quailty cork us considered passable. But you can't really cut either corectly at home. The proper way to homemake a gasket is to peen it with a ball-peen hammer doesn't work so well on cork
We are talking petroleum folks do you understand what happens when a gas tank leak finds its way to a hot exhaust system?
Good Lord. I hope you guys aren't working on brakes too.
Your vehicle is a potential deadly device. Please if you are going to wrench on it and operate it on public roads please do it correctly and adhere to proper procedure, proper spec parts, and compatible chemicals. It scares the crap out if me with some clowns with a wrench will claim is good enough.
No wonder the manufacturers lobby congress ti pass laws to keep owners from working on their on vehicles. I for one don't want to be riding on the same road with a cars maintained by corner cutting slock method empolying wrench monkeys
When you pick up a wrench. Open a hood. Think safety, proper practices and correct materials first. If there if us a better way use it. Trust me you don't know more about proper methods and suitable materials than the engineers the develope and spec out these machines. For instance permatex is gas resistant not
gas proof.
By the way a heard bubble gum also makes a good pump seal (got it SEAL not gasket) if your real smart and chew just right ...⁸
I suggest you go look at gasket papers again.They aren't the same as writing "paper" and don't try and tell a mechanic of over 40 years experience how to suck eggs. Obviously you have never worked on agricultural machinery, or British cars, or even made a gasket otherwise you wouldn't have lit off like you did.
Permatex do several gasket materials, one of which is specifically fuel rated for this application. Not Permatex grey, that one is not designbed for fuel, even tho it is fuel "tolerant"

I don't know how you cut gaskets, but I have cut gaskets up to 3/8" thick out of cork with nothing more than a ruler, pen, wad punches and a sharp craft knife.

"Flexoid" paper is a Cellulose fibre impregnated with plasticised gelatine. General purpose gasket material suitable for fuel, oil and coolant up to 120º. Colour: Brown, available...everywhere

"B03" is Cellulose Fibre material with Styrene Butadiene binder. General purpose gasket material suitable for sealing water, oil and fuel where bolt loading, temperatures and pressures are low. i.e.: thermostats, timing cover gaskets water, fuel and oil pumps. Colour: Black available...everywhere

heres one for a ford V8, factory "paper" gasket. Still being made, still available.

Reactions: DL1 and Bex
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.