Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 2.5 l auto tracker

I want to take a/c compressor out of circuit until i have time to repair. Im getting howling noise from engine bay and inadequate cooling. Also the a/c pulley has play. I guess i could just remove belt and drive with no power steering? Concerned about damaging compressor or other consequences if compressor seizes.

·
Super Moderator
19,083 Posts
See if you can run a string in the proposed belt routing (no compressor) without interference. Use that same string to measure the new belt length need.

Also, if you simply don't USE the A/C, then you can't "hurt" the compressor, unless you suspect that the clutch idler bearing is bad and fear IT seizing (and then driving the compressor due to that failure).

You MAY have to remove the compressor or at least rotate it out of the path of the new belt.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely have to move compressor out of the way. Does it make sense to buy new compressor to get the new pulley/clutch and: install on existing compressor? My a/c system seems good apart from pulley bearing.

·
Super Moderator
19,083 Posts
H25 has a non-a/c version so belt should be available.
Probably, but that is assuming that the non-A/C versions use the SAME idler and accessories position / brackets (minus the compressor) and locations. Don't know.

I'd replace the compressor / clutch as a whole assembly, thus have all new components and be done w/it, ONE time, no repeated follow-on belt playing with / under-hood escapades. ;)

2003 CHEVROLET TRACKER A/C Compressor

A plus...IF the A/C system is otherwise performing adequately now, you can do a super quick breaking of hose connections and reconnect a new compressor, draw a vacuum and re-charge without replacing the drier. I've done it w/success! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
560 Posts
I did this with my tracker. The belt contacts the a/c pulley when trying to bypass it. My compressor was locked right up so I just removed it. So you cant just bypass it with the other belt. I also had problems with the new belt I got the right belt by what it showed online but it was just a little too long and when I went to adjust the tensioner I ran out of adjustment and the belt was not tight enough. So I ened up doing a little research to find a belt just a little smaller than what they called for. I do not recall what size the belt ended up being right now I can look into it tonight after work if you go this route.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks. I'll try the shorter belt for now and try to rent vacuum pump and gauges or just get new pulley.: don't really want to open up system as my a/c seems in good shape. I think I can leave compressor attached with one bolt and rotate it back out of the way

·
Super Moderator
19,083 Posts
Replacing JUST the clutch w/bearing will require a special "puller / installer". That and doing it with the compressor installed may be a no-go, tool access wise. You can unbolt the compressor leaving the A/C lines attached and work the pulley end at an angle though.

A loaner tool set from Autozone is what you ideally need...

A generic view of the parts...

Of note: I think that you will find that purchasing a clutch and bearing assembly alone is about the same cost as a reman complete compressor, especially if you need to buy the puller too.

If your compressor has a lot of miles on it, then change out the whole deal-ee-o, is still my suggestion. ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
39.57 in belt too short to fit on. String says 39.5 to 40.5 depending on idle pulley position.
Belts inside measure seems to be .5 in smaller than what mfg describe. Vitara is supposed to be 40 in by fsm but this is tracker. I guess I will try 40.5.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

canadian compressor

too dangerous to have compressor hanging around the steering shaft. 40 inch belt prescibed by rock auto was too small. had to crank engine to get it on

·
Super Moderator
19,083 Posts
Thanks for the up-date. :)

Please don't hate me for this, BUT if you had just plunked down the $200 bucks and a "quick change" with a new compressor, you'd be miles ahead.

Now you are weeks into this, have a gaggle of PITA to source (for the correct size) belts, no A/C and the additional need to replace the dryer (since the system is now open to the atmosphere) to get the system fully back up to snuff.

I'm just sayin'! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,239 Posts
For those of us in Canada, ordering via Rockauto is not cheap when you add shipping, brokerage fees, duty and Cdn TAX.... Not to mention the exchange rate..

.... Philip

·
Super Moderator
19,083 Posts
I heard that some of you guys sneak over the border at night to your Stateside PO boxes to collect your booty. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
19,083 Posts
Canadian Tire (which BTW probably has the most difficult website that I've ever attempted to navigate) has...

Blue Streak Receiver Drier

Please select a store for inventory status. (Select Store)

Product Number : 14-6677-2
Manufacturer Part Number : 83019
Brand : Blue Streak
Comments :

Reg. $54.99

Your search for "2003 CHEVROLET TRACKER - Air Conditioning - Air Conditioning Filter Valve Condenser Evaporator&Hose". returned 4 results. 4 products

Search Results Page | Canadian Tire

·
Registered
105 Posts
dayco 5040405 4pk1030 fits perfect for op situation.

what tool do you use to tighten the tensioner with ac compressor gone?

there is six sided slot in the tensioner pulley.

·
Super Moderator
19,083 Posts
If the stock tensioner is still in play, it takes a metric Allen key. The size is listed in the FAQ 'Belt' thread. ;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
thanks, max. i have a 10 mm allen socket that fits . counterclockwise to tighten.
i will need a long 12 mm socket wrench to tighten the bolts on pulley as i tighten belt. definitely 3 day job unless i can find a pipe to extend wrench.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts