Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughters found a S&S header online and bought it for me for Christmas.My question is- this header has an 1 3/4 inch outlet and I have seen most people reccomend at least a 2 inch outlet.I have a 1 3/4 inch pipe from the stock manifold to a cherry bomb muffler and 2 inch from muffler to rear bumper and no coverter. This was how I bought it.I was told the carb on it is from a "Honda Tow Motor". It had 31 in tires and I drove it home on the freeway at 65 and 3500 on tach, GPS verified speed and still had a little left. I have a weber that will go on but exhaust is first. I really do not know what all has been done and am learning about this "Sammi addiction".What ever it is I like it. Thanks for any help you guys can give me
Bill

·
Registered
139 Posts
With a screen name like yours how could I refuse to help....

Yep, your header will adapt fine to your present pipe. You will need to purchase a collector with the 1 3/4" OD outlet. You can then either weld or clamp the collector to your exhaust pipe. Then install the collector gasket between the collector and the header and bolt them together.

You should be good to go with a little more rumble.... well sort of...

And with that I'll take a tall Makers & Water...... :D

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Not sure what the honda TOW carb is, but if it's working out for you then by all means run with it. IT will only improve the preformance with the header on. The header is one of the least expensive but most productive means of getting more power out of the little 1.3L engine. A 1 3/4" collector isn't going to be an issue for you. A 2 inch exhaust isn't really going to be usefull unless you go with a fuel injection or multiple throttle bodies. Larger than a 2" on this engine would be pointless without forced induction. The exhaust is only as wide as it's most restrictive point, so if you have a 1 3/4 inch pipe then you may as well run 1 3/4 inch the whole length of the vehicle. Expanding to a 2 inch pipe off of a 1 3/4 inch collector will still be as restrictive as a 1 3/4 in sytem. The samurai actually does better with a more restrictive pipe, giving you more power at the lower end of the rpm curve. The less restriction, the less low end power you will have, but you will gain more high rpm power. Most people drive the vehicle in the lower rpm range and want more grunt from a stop or a steep incline so they will benefit from a more restrictive exhaust. Running it tached out with WOT flat out you'd want a more open exhaust.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Baratacus. The guy I bought the truck from said that the carb was from "a Honda tow motor, you know a fork lift" so I am not sure what I have. I connot find any name on the carb but as you said it is working for me right now.Except for a pretty good oil leak and the brake fluid has all drained out that is all I found amiss so far. Have parts for disc conversion and think I found oil leaks.
Tux if you get to Fl we shoud meet and compare the merits of Bourbon.
Thanks again guys for your help.
Bill

·
Registered
139 Posts
Bill, If you can post a pic of the carb I can probally get you some info on it if necessary. I worked for 32 yrs as a Warehouse Manager and have quite a few industrial truck / material handling connections that could help you out.

As for FLA. you better send me an address of your favorite haunt. I spend a reasonable amount of time each year on the gulf side in the Bradenton / Sarasota area.

:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts