Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m working on an Arduino code to monitor the car heat. I already can read the engine temperature and some more parameters.

I was wondering if there are active commands I can send over the can bus to operate items in the car?

For example, can I honk the horn, turn the lights on ets?

I could not find any information about this.

·
Registered
13,039 Posts
You can flash the indicator lights, but posdibky not turn the headlights on unless it has drl functionality, my can bus car alarm does the indicator flashing already.
Headlights are physically switched power from the stalk switch, but the indicators are bcm controlled
Horn is physically power switched from the horn button. If there is a DRL function then you may be able to control the Headlights. My ones do not have that coded into the bcm but other models do have that facility to manually enable the drl system
Anything in the ecm or bcm can theoretically be controlled from can bus assuming that there is a firmware code that allows that to be bi directional controlled
Check the wiring diagrams to see what is controlled from the bcm or ecm

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is this correct:
If the item is connected to the bcm (or any other onbard processor), then prbebly there is some can command to control it. but there is no real way to find that command.

·
Administrator
18,753 Posts
Sometimes you need to think about what you're reading, think about what you're asking and perhaps more importantly think about what YOU are capable of.

If the item is connected to the bcm (or any other onbard processor)
Let me start with - why would any item be connected to the BCM - the answer, quite obviously, is so that it can be controlled by the BCM.

then prbebly there is some can command to control it.
If the item is controlled by the BCM, then there HAS to be a way to tell the BCM how to control it - that could be a direct input to the BCM or via the communication bus.

but there is no real way to find that command.
This is where YOUR skill set comes in to play - you're obviously into programming at some level - perhaps building on someone else's already documented work, perhaps creating your own unique code.

What can be done will quite obviously vary from one vehicle to another, but perhaps it's time for you to start monitoring the communication bus, seeing what commands are being passed and how those commands are handled. Is there a security system that communicates via the bus? Does it lock & unlock the doors remotely? Does it flash the lights and/or honk the horn to provide feedback?

Are YOU up to the challenge?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@fordem , I do have some of the skills and some of the time, but my hope was to find information that more talented people already found.

It was easy task to find the signals that indicate the status of the doors, locks etc.

My car (GV 2010) doesn’t make any sound / indication when it locks / unlocks the door, and I wish to add a small honk according to the door lock status (I could not find the can bus command due to clicks on the car key remote). Therefore I looked for a way to honk the horn. I hoped that there is some list of can commands that someone already found for the Suzuki family. (my other way is to add a strong buzzer in the engine and use it to make a short sound)

·
Registered
13,039 Posts
@fordem , I do have some of the skills and some of the time, but my hope was to find information that more talented people already found.

It was easy task to find the signals that indicate the status of the doors, locks etc.

My car (GV 2010) doesn’t make any sound / indication when it locks / unlocks the door, and I wish to add a small honk according to the door lock status (I could not find the can bus command due to clicks on the car key remote). Therefore I looked for a way to honk the horn. I hoped that there is some list of can commands that someone already found for the Suzuki family. (my other way is to add a strong buzzer in the engine and use it to make a short sound)
The indicators should flash when locking but that may be model dependent
Even my swift flashes the indicators on pick and unlock.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
.. Therefore I looked for a way to honk the horn.
Much to my surprise the BCM does have control of the horn relay, in parallel to the button. As a wild idea, have you tried holding both buttons down on the fob for 5 sec to see if that toggles that option?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts