Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if this timing belt is the correct belt to use on a 1989 Suzuki Samurai 1.3 petrol jeep please?

Details:

Powergrip A334RU075
Number of Teeth : 89
Width [mm] : 19

·
Super Moderator
13,216 Posts
If I recall correctly an 89 1.3 Samurai could have one of two engines, that is, assuming the original engine is still fitted, either the 1324cc G13a or the 1298cc G13ba, you'll need to verify what you have, go find the engine number stamped into the edge of the block near the bellhousing and report back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks Fordem. I've just checked and it is a 1324cc G13A engine. It should be the same engine as my father-in-law purchased it in 1989. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
13,216 Posts
Yup, that looks like the correct belt - but, rather than buy the belt by itself, you might want to get a kit with the tensioner pulley as well, you should be changing them together.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, the seller says it may not fit as the shape of the teeth may be different (rounded or squared).

This is the one that most websites are saying fits the jeep - Gates 5122 Belt, maybe I should just get this one?:

I would like to replace the water pump also but I was hoping just to change the timing belt as Im looking to do the work super cheap, to see if I can get it on the road again. Then if I know it is feesible to get back on the road i can change the water pump at a later date. Is it alot more work to then go back and replace the water pump?

thanks again,

·
Super Moderator
13,216 Posts
I would like to replace the water pump also but I was hoping just to change the timing belt as Im looking to do the work super cheap, to see if I can get it on the road again. Then if I know it is feesible to get back on the road i can change the water pump at a later date. Is it alot more work to then go back and replace the water pump?

thanks again,
In my opinion, and speaking as one who has done it that way, replacing the water pump as a separate task is quite feasible, especially if you're willing to do the work yourself, on the other hand, if you're paying someone to do it, it means paying twice for the disassembly & reassembly. If it's a cash flow issue, price out the water pump and see how it compares to the labor charges.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking of changing the timing belt myself. Is it a huge task? Do u know if the Gates 5122 belt above fits my jeep?

·
Super Moderator
13,216 Posts
Whether or not you can replace a timing belt yourself is going to be dependent on your skill/experience level with automotive repairs and perhaps how "well equipped" you are tool wise to perform such a task, it is not a difficult job, in fact it's probably on the simpler side as far as timing belt replacement is concerned, but it's also not a task for a "first time" mechanic.

Assuming your car to a be a US market 1989 Samurai, the OEM timing belt part number is 12761-82000, you can try cross-referencing that to the Gates number.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts