Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i used to have a sidekick ah 1.6 automatic 4x4 but never pulled anything im planning to buy another one and pull 2 quads for the summer, can i put a small trailer that would fit 2 quads and maybe a few coolers,seats, camping stuff, i live 1 hour away from rosarito,mexico can a suzuki handle that? and maybe 3 people inside the car? thanks

·
Registered
223 Posts
I pulled one with my Sport when it still had the 1.8 in it. It pulled it ok, but was working pretty hard. I'm sure the automatic was hating life. Pulling 2 with a 1.6 automatic would be pretty tough I would think

·
Registered
223 Posts
Another thing to consider is braking. Depending on your quads and trailer, you will have some where between 1500-2000 pounds of weight you will be trying to stop. My quad and trailer weighed around 1100 pounds. I sure know it was back there when slowing down.

Also if your Sidekick is a 2dr, it will have a shorter wheelbase than a 4 dr, making it pretty unstable at speeds above 50 or so.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I've towed a 1k trailer with 1500lbs of engine heads on it.

I don't advise it. You can do about 55...and it takes double the distance to stop.

And...unless you're a wizard with dealing with trailer sway...prepare to crap your pants.

I've been driving/riding/towing things since I was a toddler. And it still was quite a handful at times.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I don't advise it. You can do about 55...and it takes double the distance to stop.

And...unless you're a wizard with dealing with trailer sway...prepare to crap your pants.
lmao

Maybe the OP should consider a 99 or newer Track/Kick w/a 2L or 2.5L and use a trailer that has it's own brakes.

·
Registered
69 Posts
That's the wrong vehicle for that kind of load/work. On top of what the others have said if you have a tire blowout at freeway speed you could end up on your roof.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Everything the previous posters have warned about is true.

However, I do it almost every weekend. BUT, my Tracker is a 5 spd manual. I have no idea if an automatic could handle it.

Loading of the trailer is crucial. When I first tried with just two quads (no gear) it took me three configurations before I found one that was stable. And even after figuring out the best load pattern, I never go over 55. Climbing Long hills on the highway will have all the other cars passing you by. And if you are safe driver, they will pass you going down the hill as well.

·
Registered
191 Posts
my 95 pulls our pop-up camper just fine but it does have trailer breaks and weighs in at about 2100 lbs when loaded, not sure what kinds of speed your after I usually pull the camper about 60 to 65

·
Registered
621 Posts
Randy...that hitch isn't rated for the tongue weight it's supporting.

Around here, state police would be all over you.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Thanks Goat, I appreciate the warning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts