Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have an oil leak J20A engine in this piece that I think is a camshaft sensor, I changed twice a piece of rubber that prevents this leak but still continues.

Has anyone had the same problem? Any idea?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,760 Posts
That is the cam position sensor - where was the "piece of rubber" that you changed?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Rubber CPS

change it twice and even the engine oil leak was reduced still continues. :confused:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Did you check the "o" ring on the black sensor?

·
Super Moderator
13,760 Posts
If you've changed that O ring twice and it is still leaking, you're either using the wrong size O ring, or that's not where the leak is.

I believe the cam position sensor has an internal seal which Suzuki does not supply as a separate part, but which may be available from a seal supply house, and a third possibility is a valve cover gasket leak.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
regards

regards,

billsmartis, with relation to the black rubber sensor send me a photo or mark on this below as they do not understand that you mean? :confused:

fordem, I think you're right and the leak is elsewhere, with relation to the inner seal is failing I think that is marked in the picture, this sell? if not I'll have to make it. :(

Thank you very much for your reply, I will comment in relation to progress. :)

·
Registered
522 Posts
regards,

billsmartis, with relation to the black rubber sensor send me a photo or mark on this below as they do not understand that you mean? :confused:

fordem, I think you're right and the leak is elsewhere, with relation to the inner seal is failing I think that is marked in the picture, this sell? if not I'll have to make it. :(

Thank you very much for your reply, I will comment in relation to progress. :)
The black thing you plug the connector to is the sensor and it has a screw on the side that holds it in place. If you pull the sensor there is a "o" ring on it which could be leaking.

If you find the valve cover leaking then Rock Auto is the cheapest place to get the valve cover set.

·
Super Moderator
13,760 Posts
I would expect there to be a conventional "garter seal" or "lip seal" internal to the cam position sensor - as mentioned Suzuki does not sell this separately.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
greetings, even continuing with the oil leak as you discuss above was the last thing try putting silicone on the two small circular screw top but still continues to leak . I am planning to buy and replace the entire piece, this would solve the leak ?

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
Yes, it looks like your sensor has an internal seal leak, which is letting the oil come through the sensor and out the top plate with the 2 screws on it? If its leaking out the small cover plate that you have circled red in your picture, then yes, buying a new one will fix the leak. You could try removing the 2 screws and the cover and making a paper gasket and using gasket sealer on it.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
The crankcase pressure must be pretty high to force that much oil out the Cam sensor...

..... Philip

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
The crankcase pressure must be pretty high to force that much oil out the Cam sensor...

..... Philip
Not really, I've had them (and distributors) fill up with oil on other vehicles, (the G10 motors used in Subaru Justy's filled the dizzys up, and you can imagine that fun when electricity and oil occupy the same space, does wonders for the idle...:mad:) the internal seal on the shaft (usually an o ring) lets go and the oil just wicks up into them because they are swimming in it because of their location. Because the top covers are only designed to keep dust and dirt out, they fill up and start leaking. I'm surprised its not throwing a code, but if the oil's clean enough they will keep working (and leaking :p)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried to seal with silicon but dont work :-(, i go to buy a new one. Thanks for your coments

·
Super Moderator
13,760 Posts
Please be aware that there are at least two different types of cam position sensor in use - some vehicles use a two channel optical sensor, others I believe use a single channel hall effect sensor - make sure you get the one that matches your vehicle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts