Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got done doing a complete overhaul and my camshaft seems like it is froze. I had it running for quite some time i took it for its first test drive and it died. it seems like its squeaking when i try and crank it over. the head was rebuilt by a machine shop. Can my timing belt be too tight?:eek:

·
Super Moderator
12,419 Posts
It's more likely that the head gasket was fitted incorrectly - if you get it wrong it blocks the oil way that feeds the head, and the end result is a seized cam.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The head gasket does not go on any other way. I also torqued the head to sequence as well. I will say the oil port that is the closet one to the front of the engine on the intake side has a hole but it is not open all the way. its the port right next to the water pump. the gasket has the hole open half way. Was I suppose to modify the gasket? The gasket seemed to install properly but I wasn't sure if any other the gasket was suppose to be modified. It is a fel pro gasket with the word top visible and toward the front when installed. This gasket couldn't go on any other way literally!

·
Super Moderator
12,419 Posts
The head gasket does not go on any other way. <SNIP> This gasket couldn't go on any other way literally!
Go take another look - you might be surprised.

I'm not saying it WAS on wrong, but I am saying it CAN go on wrong, and if it DOES go on wrong, you end up exactly where you are.

You don't have to believe me, I won't lose sleep if you don't, and my reputation is not at stake

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Its a fairly common mistake to make, it could also be a bad/leaking oil pump.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found it out. My head is perfectly fine as well as the cam.....BUT the 3rd cylinder connecting rod bearing seized on the crankshaft. Why would only one do this? Remember now, I did a long block overhaul. The block, both shafts, and connecting rods were the only things reused.

·
Super Moderator
12,419 Posts
#3 rod is fed through a drilling in the crank from one of the mains - I don't remember which, and I'm too lazy to go get a crank and check it, not that it makes a difference, all five mains are fed from the main oil gallery which is fed from the oil filter which I believe is roughly alongside #2).

If it was the #3 rod alone and there is no sign of galling on the #3 or #4 main, that would suggest either ...

a) an improperly selected or fitted rod bearing.
b) improper cleaning of the crank oil ways prior to reassembly.

Now - what puzzles me is this - how do you mistake a seized rod bearing for a frozen cam - slip the belt, rotate the cam, it either turns or it doesn't.

By the way - since you presumably have the head off - can the gasket go on wrong or not?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hadn't pulled the timing apart that's why I thought it was my cam. If I over torqued my bearing can that be the problem possibly? I had the Crank polished etc.. from a machine shop. Yes the gasket can go on wrong but It was installed correctly. Thank you for your help Foredom.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts