Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Having trouble finding anyone that's willing to supply and fit Superpro JB lower control arm offset bushes for my JT so looking at a plan B.

I originally installed an 'advertised' 2" King Spring lift only to find that I finished up just 10mm higher on the front end once the ARB bar was on. Complained to King Springs who allowed me to return and finished up going with Ironman which has given me a 35mm lift on the with the bar on.

At 10mm lift, camber was in spec and castor no problems at all. At 35mm lift, I've had had to install camber adjusting bolts to return camber to spec and have a small issue with caster (slight pull to the left and rotating tyres every 5,000ks). Two different shops have both reported being unable to return the front left caster to OEM specs.

I can understand how a fixed position strut will will eventually go beyond camber specs as the angle increases on the control arms. Not so sure about the caster.

My plan B. I can get a 9,000lb winch for around $350 with dynema rope and weighing in about 30kg. I’m thinking that once installed into the ARB bar, I should expect the front to drop at least 5mm (I can get it to drop 13mm by sitting my 80 odd kgs on the bulbar).

Would such a reduction in ride height assist with the caster problem I have?

I can convince the finance manager (wifey) that buying a winch is a good idea if it improves the uneven tyre wear issue. If it doesn’t, it's going to look like I did it just to get a winch.

I guess at $350, if it's a decent chance of bring the caster back in spec, it's probably cheaper than paying parts and labor on 2 LCA bush instals.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Wes

·
Super Moderator
13,707 Posts
I can understand how a fixed position strut will will eventually go beyond camber specs as the angle increases on the control arms. Not so sure about the caster.
If I'm not mistaken the rear bushes are located further apart on the chassis than the front ones, so that an imaginary line between the bushes angles inwards as it goes forwards - this would cause the ball joint to move towards the rear of the vehicle as it moves down, and that would have an impact on the caster - why it should vary from one side to the other I couldn't say.

From the factory neither caster nor camber are adjustable, only toe, so it's not surprising that you were told the two shops couldn't adjust it.

Have you considered an adjustable strut top mount?

I don't know if they are available for the GV, but if not, I understand that K-Mac can sometime be persuaded to do custom mounts. They'll probably tell you that they don't do 4WDs, but I have a friend who had a set made for a Pajero iO, which is about the same size as the GV - from what I was told they agreed to make the plates because the car was not that much heavier than a sedan.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hi Wes,

I have had those bushes fitted to mine. I got the kit with one offset bush and one std. It did help a bit, and not much of a pull to the left now, but should have got the twin offset.
My winch is a 12,000Lb at 28kg. Fitting it did not alter the pull.

Why can't you just buy the bushes yourself, (will cost less), then get your mechanic to fit them. It's not a hard job, you just need to press them in. :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Fordem.

I'd seen these before on lowered cars but didn't know they were also used for off road. I'll check it out further.

Thanks Oldtrack. Guess the main reason why I haven't gone down that path yet is because I wanted to be sure they were compatible with the JT before getting someone to replace. Don't mind paying the cost once but would hate to have to pay someone only to find I had to put it back to original if they didn't fit. If they will fit a JT then this would be my first option.

Cheers
Wes

·
Super Moderator
13,707 Posts
There's a user here - I think Murcod is the user name - I believe he has a JB and had a problem with the offset bushes disintegrating within literally miles of them being fitted - there was some discussion of a redesigned bush.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it might have been dkguffe but he since got it sorted.

Cheers
Wes

·
Super Moderator
13,707 Posts
You're probably correct - thinking about it Murcod has an XL-7, it's dkguffe that has the JB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts