Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed the new Calmini 3.5 inch lift for the Samurai. Anybody out there have one yet? What is the ride like? Handling? Articulation? Any install snafu's? Considering ordering one, but would like to hear from some people who have them before spending my hard earned cash. Thanx! Zeke.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
well it's not new, but it is a good lift system. Their shackle revers systems are very stable, great handling, and built for durrability. The 3.5 inch lift actually uses a 1.5" lift spring, but the shackle reverse configuration gives it 2 more inches of lift. I have the 5 inch lift but it's a bit stiff. That's to be expected when you put a 3 inch short wheel base lift spring on. The 1.5 springs on the 3.5 lift kit should be a little more stiff than stock, but have a little extra travel and won't bottom out as fast as the stock springs.

Personally if I were to do a suspension lift today, I would do a YJ wrangler spring conversion, but the calmini Shackle reverse system has done me well for the last 10 years... no complaints.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. I like the Calmini kit as I just install everything in the box and go. But I'm looking for a better ride quality. I have a set of YJ springs in the barn, so I guess I'll go that route. Just looks like I will have to gather up the needed parts from here and there and do some research and precision guesswork.

Thanks Again! Zeke.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
there are kits out there that will include most of what you need for the YJ kit, they just don't include springs, since most people can get their own YJ springs and not have to pay shipping charges. Trail tough sells a bolt on kit with all the hardware (except springs) 300 for the front, and 200 for the rear. I think Sky manufacturing and Low Range Offroad also sell YJ kits.

Whatever you do, don't get a Rocky Road Outfitters kit. It's tempting because it's cheap. The savings however are not worth the headache you will get from poor quality products and even worse customer support.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
It kind of eliminates the purpose of using a YJ sping in the first place. The reason for using the jeep spring is because it is longer and therefore capable of a more progressive spring rate. (not as abrupt or harsh) shortening the springs to make them fit the stock spring locations isn't going to make them much better than the stock sami springs.

Edit: THey do have a higher arch and will make a good lift spring, but again, not any better at ride quality improvement over the stock spring or any other short spring, arched or not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts