Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to lift my 87 2 or 3 inches and the calmini 2 " shackle kit looks pretty good because i have an extreme limited budget, is this a good way to go? is there a better way for about the same price? and im not sure that i like the spoa idea... is there a reason i should be nervous about the spoa?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
The shackle kit (just shackles) are a good start. If you mean the Shackle Reverse kit, that is even better for control on and off the road. I ran it for a couple of years until I needed more articulation.

I would add the dropped pitman arm for steering control without bumpsteer. You can see the drag link in the pic above is parallel with the tie rod, and that is because the dropped pitman arm I installed put the geometry back to where it needed to be.

SPOA is a great way to get an immediate 4.5" of lift, but it will change the way the vehicle handles. It is definately the way to go if you want to do serious trails, but it is only the first of many upgrades you have to do to make it work well (brake lines, high steer kit, drive shafts, shocks, etc). It starts as a cheap lift, but the rest of the upgrades add up very quickly.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you know were to find the shackle reverse kit for a stock sammie? i would love to do it but i cant find the kit for it so the calmini kit is all i can find. and its $300 just for the shackles...then i would still need new shocks...plus i want to extend the top front shock mount because i could get another 3 inches of travel out of it

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
The Calmini kit is designed to lift a stock Sammy about 2".

To be honest, there were only two companies that offered the Suzuki Spring Reversal kit. Calmini and Warrior. They are both bolt-on kits and they both give about a 2" lift. The Calmini kit is easier to find, but they are both in the $300 range. You might get lucky on Ebay and find a used kit for less.

The shock mount issue can fill a whole new thread. You can get tube style mounts or box mounts (for the top) and/or you can get replacement bottom mounts that move the mounting pin from the spring plate to the axle housing. All of these require welding.

But if you just want to extend the end of the stock shock to make up for the lift you could use those pin extensions from Autozone... Just don't do anything wild on the trail, because the extensions are not as strong as the shock body and are susceptible to bending. They are also almost half the cost of a cheap replacement shock... you just have to get the right length based on your new measurements.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts