Suzuki Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Rock Auto do sell a range of metric bolts (in 5 packs) but only in 1.5 pitch and no comment on class. Bit of a bummer. However, as I said, check out Bolt Depot.
From Bolt Depot. Ph 866-337-9888
Cat #
11968 40mm 1.5 pitch 10.9 class $0.49 each
11969 45mm 1.5 pitch 10.9 class $0.56 each
15242 40mm 1.25 pitch 10.9 class $1.17 each
15243 45mm 1.25 pitch 10.9 class $1.32 each limited availability
They do have other lengths.
Somewhere on Bolt Depots site is a comparison between steel classes. Apparently a class 8.8 is similar to a 10.9 in strength BUT they only list class 8.8 in imperial settings but the 10.9 in metric. They do sell metric 8.8 also but you would have to find the chart and convert one set of readings.
I dear say the freight will be more than the bolts cost.
I can't help you much more than this.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
10.9 is nothing similar to 8.8. totally different tensile strength and proof load rating.

as per post 3.
The first digit relates to the ultimate strength of the material, while the second is the ratio of yield stress to ultimate strength. Thus grade 10.9 bolts have an ultimate material tensile strength of 1000N/mm2 and the yield (or proof) stress is 90% of the ultimate strength. Similarly grade 8.8 bolts have an ultimate strength of 800 N/mm2 and a ratio of yield/proof stress to ultimate strength of 80%.

now, onto how to determine pitch on a metric bolt.

measure distance covered by 10 threads, shift decimal place 1 digit left.
if you get 15mm distance in 10 threads, its 1.5 pitch,
12.5 mm in 10 thread tips, its 1.25.
10 mm in 10 tips its 1.0.

isn't metric easy.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Yes 2013GV is correct re 8.8 v 10.9. I should have said a Grade 8 bolt, not 8.8. They are completely different. A Grade 8 bolt is close enough they could be used interchangeable.
Class 8.8 Grade 8 Class 10.9
Proof load MPa 580 827 830
Min Yield MPa 640 896 940
Min Tensile MPa 800 1034 1040
Although, since it seems that 10.9 is available, it is a moot point. But sometimes you just cannot get stuff that you want so good to know that there may be a possible replacement. It just widens the options.
Good stuff re thread counting. I suspect he may be right re the thread count being 1.25. It makes the bolt much less susceptible to loosening by itself. This coupled with being a 10.9 and being used on the brakes makes the calipers much less likely to fail.
An alternative to thread counting might be to be loosen the bolt and count the turns as it unthreads. The bolt probably sticks out a bit behind the caliper so that + the thickness of the frame mount would almost certainly mean you could measure the distance from the underneath of the bolt and the frame mount, or just use the number of turns to get the thread count. 6.67 turns = 1.5 pitch or 8.00 turns = 1.25 pitch. There will be no doubt which is which.
Or if there is a bit of thread poking out the frame mount go and buy a 10mm bolt 1.5 pitch (the normal pitch and assuming you can find some) and hold the threaded bit against each other. It will be quickly apparent what the thread is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
This is a classic mistake you are making. It is NOT 1.5" in length but more probably 40mm long ! You need to get used to dealing with metric.
You have no idea how satisfying it is to hear this. LOL. I work in healthcare and we use the metric system for everything. Hearing this outside work feels so good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So here are the measurements... It appears to be not a very standard bolt:

It also has to be 3 cm in length and not longer because it is limited by the rotor on the outside

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
now, onto how to determine pitch on a metric bolt.

measure distance covered by 10 threads, shift decimal place 1 digit left.
if you get 15mm distance in 10 threads, its 1.5 pitch,
12.5 mm in 10 thread tips, its 1.25.
10 mm in 10 tips its 1.0.

isn't metric easy.
It only has 8 threads in the 15 mm threaded area

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I am going to order: (if I find them)
m10-1.5 x 30 - 10.9
m11-1.5 x 30 - 10.9
m10-1.25 x 30 - 10.9
m11-1.25 x 30 - 10.9

and see which one is the closest... Will get back to you after. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Two things here.
1. Don't call the wreckers. Actually visit them. If they sell the calipers then they had to remove them and will have the bolts - just in a large bucket somewhere or even just dropped on the ground. I have seen this happening a lot. Get in their face and they will usually co-operate. Take along the sample.
2. Don't bother ordering any bolts. That one is a special and you need another one just like it. Bolts usually are two types, one with threads the full length and same diameter and the other the same diameter but only threaded part of the length. Note the 'same diameter'. The one you want has the un-threaded length a larger diameter so it is acting as a centering or spacing device.
Either make the SSG-Asia work (I have used them a couple of times in the past - years ago, very quick service) or go to a machine shop and get them to make you one. It will be expensive but I guess that is the cost of carelessness.
It is a bummer that Suzuki has done it this way but they must have had a reason. And usually if they have done this then other vehicles will have also. Very rarely do vehicle manufacturers make their own bolts and they will buy them in. They might make a special but I find it hard to believe that the Forenza would be the only model to use this particular shaped/style bolt. It is hard to believe that an entire vehicle has suddenly become unusable for the lack of a single bolt.
I might also be tempted to go back to the mechanics place with either a metal detector or a very powerful magnet (cheap on Amazon) and hunt the missing bolt down.
I just did a search on "Suzuki caliper bracket bolts forenza" on ebay and got this hit https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-2004-2007-Suzuki-Forenza-Caliper-Bolt-Kit-Front-Raybestos-65137NK-2005-2006/292742303777?epid=7024140653&hash=item4428cd1021:g:MgEAAOSwXzldP4HM but these bolts look different than the one above.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Any chance of a photo, does sound strange. I believe the Forenza is a Daewoo Lacetti and the parts listing for those shows this... obviously in no way guarantees they have the same though.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
It only has 8 threads in the 15 mm threaded area
measure tips in 10 mm, sounds pretty coarse, and its a 30 mm bolt, not a machine screw like the pics Darrell posted, however those style would do the same job, not ideal, but still workable if you can't get the bolt.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts