Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Does the '92 Samurai cabin air filter? If so where is it located. Any time I turn on the vents blows leaves and junk out. :confused:

Thx

·
Registered
686 Posts
From what I can see it is the same setup as the late 80s models. The heater core lays horizontally and has no filter. Because it lays flat it picks up leaves, dirt, dead rats, Harley parts and pine cones right through the cowl vent. It forms a blanket over the heater core impeding the flow of air around the core and blowing all this crap back into the cabin. There is a great writeup on how to use a holesaw to drill a hole and vacuum it out using compressed air to blow up through the core. I ended up taking mine apart because I was adding AC anyway and found tons of shyt in there. I was shocked that my Ragtop could now comfortably be driven in 0 deg weather with a couple minutes of warmup.
Once it's clean you could pick up one of those Jeep-esque cowl scoops to prevent it from happening again.

If Im wrong about the 92 being the same I hope someone will chime in.

·
Registered
686 Posts
You could measure the vent and do a cowl scoop on ebay and find some other choices if your cheap like me. I have dealt with Low Range before and been happy, I dont think you can go wrong with either option.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
-Thanks, will figure how to clean.

-Good option but at $39 + s/h seems expensive IMO. Did see on ebay the Westin Cowl Scoop for the Jeep is 7.5x10x1 (LxWxH). The Samurai is 5x18x1. Will look around. Thanks!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I cant seem to get my search function to work but there is a great step by step write-up on resolving this exact problem. No need to reinvent the wheel. It involves a holesaw and a strong shopvac or carwash vac.

I have heard plenty about folks using the jeep vents, I would pay about $15 shipped because I'm a cheapa$$. $40 is more than I will pay because I don't need a new one and it does not have to be a perfect fit, the jeep ones fit just fine for my taste. My Sami is pretty far from a show vehicle. Instead of drilling I'll install it with a couple drywall picture hanging screws through the vent grill with the backs turned 90 deg to hold it in. I suppose I could also make one out of all this aluminum stock I have laying around, a little bending/cutting and done deal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts