Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Hoping someone can help if you can.
I have a Suzuki swift 2007 CVT transmission that is giving the transmission error on the dash (refer picture) and when you drive and pick up speed, it does not but the engine revs above the 2k mark without increase in speed.
Did a scan and got the C1122 fault code that relates to the speed signals. Having issues identifying the speed sensors on the vehicle.
Does anyone know where it is and how to check to correct this fault?

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,757 Posts
The speed sensor sends a signal to the ABS module then to the ECU which then regulates the amount of assist to the steering,
slow more,
speed less..
If the steering is heavy the ECU sees the vehicle speed as fast...

Reactions: AHemets

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't know if anything from this post will assist. 1.C1122 fault?!?! Power steering stiff steering?? Help?
Thanks Darrell. Saw that but do not have much experience with troubleshooting or identifying the issue in the vehicle. Also need to learn how to read the wiring diagrams as well to be able to see. Anyway, would like to see where the speed sensor is so I can disconnect the harness and check if that helps. Or even remove it, inspect it and put it back again. Just not really sure what it looks like.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tha
The speed sensor sends a signal to the ABS module then to the ECU which then regulates the amount of assist to the steering,
slow more,
speed less..
If the steering is heavy the ECU sees the vehicle speed as fast...
Thanks mate. The steering is all normal. The car is just not accelerating and appears to be a speed sensor issue so would like to determine where they are and inspect to see if I can see anything. Problem is I don’t know where it’s located.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So had some time play around a little on the vehicle and here is what I found out.
I jacked up the front end of the vehicle, took off the tires to check the speed sensors on both wheels which did not have any issues, and then switched on the vehicle and put in drive and only one side of the wheel was spinning! Only the right side was spinning and the left was not. Now I am checking what the cause of that could be. Perhaps its the solenoids that is not working properly but looking up on why only one wheel is rotating and not two.

If anyone already knows, please do let me know what I can check out.

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
So had some time play around a little on the vehicle and here is what I found out.
I jacked up the front end of the vehicle, took off the tires to check the speed sensors on both wheels which did not have any issues, and then switched on the vehicle and put in drive and only one side of the wheel was spinning! Only the right side was spinning and the left was not. Now I am checking what the cause of that could be. Perhaps its the solenoids that is not working properly but looking up on why only one wheel is rotating and not two.

If anyone already knows, please do let me know what I can check out.
That's called differential action. Open differential will send all the power to the wheel with the least friction, in this case the one with the least rotating friction if both front wheels are off the ground. What you have seen is perfectly normal.

If the steering is fine but the car just won't accelerate then....stop chasing wheel speed sensors.

You need scope the speed sensor signal line at the ECU and the transmission control module for correct waveforms. There's 4 different speed signals minimum, road speed (wheel) and 2 ( possibly more, I haven't looked into the actual number on your model) from the transmission itself, (input speed and output speed) plus engine rotation speed. If the tcm is seeing a mismatch then it could be sensors internally to the trans, the tcm itself, or a mechanical issue inside the CVT unit itself. Not forgetting wiring issues etc

I doubt wheel speed sensors are your issue

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's called differential action. Open differential will send all the power to the wheel with the least friction, in this case the one with the least rotating friction if both front wheels are off the ground. What you have seen is perfectly normal.

If the steering is fine but the car just won't accelerate then....stop chasing wheel speed sensors.

You need scope the speed sensor signal line at the ECU and the transmission control module for correct waveforms. There's 4 different speed signals minimum, road speed (wheel) and 2 ( possibly more, I haven't looked into the actual number on your model) from the transmission itself, (input speed and output speed) plus engine rotation speed. If the tcm is seeing a mismatch then it could be sensors internally to the trans, the tcm itself, or a mechanical issue inside the CVT unit itself. Not forgetting wiring issues etc

Thanks for the note. Appreciate you taking the time to get back
And note your point on the differential action. Thats good to know. Something new I just learnt. Will read up more on that.
Now thinking about the error code that I got, it was C1122 FR RH In ABS SOL which possibly was the issues after all. On reading about it, was all pointing to the speed circuit but perhaps I was misled. Could it be the Front Right Hand Input ABS solenoid that is faulty?

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
Without looking at the service manual for the code particular to your exact model I don't know. Remember suzuki use a lot of C codes proprietary meaning the default description you get from a scan tool will not be the actual fault the code is indicating

Your code is for the electric assist steering in the 2008 model, but suzuki may have used it fir a CVT fault code in your model year in your market

Clear the code and see if it comes back, if it does, start diagnosis,

The fact its lit the trans error light suggests it might be a transmission issue

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks for the note. Appreciate you taking the time to get back
And note your point on the differential action. Thats good to know. Something new I just learnt. Will read up more on that.
Now thinking about the error code that I got, it was C1122 FR RH In ABS SOL which possibly was the issues after all. On reading about it, was all pointing to the speed circuit but perhaps I was misled Could it be the Front Right Hand Input ABS solenoid that is faulty?
Without looking at the service manual for the code particular to your exact model I don't know. Remember suzuki use a lot of C codes proprietary meaning the default description you get from a scan tool will not be the actual fault the code is indicating

Your code is for the electric assist steering in the 2008 model, but suzuki may have used it fir a CVT fault code in your model year in your market

Clear the code and see if it comes back, if it does, start diagnosis,

The fact its lit the trans error light suggests it might be a transmission issue
Thanks mate. Mine is the 2007 Suzuki Swift with CVT and a K12B engine. Brought it to the only dealer we have in Papua New Guinea (PNG) to have a look and what they mentioned to me that the model I have is not found anywhere else apart from Japan. Got the car from a second hand dealer and in PNG, there is not much control. That means I will not be able to find any spare parts in PNG.
Anyway, will try and clear it and see how I go but do you know if it is possible to get the actual fault code for the C1122 I see with it being proprietary?

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
If its a jdm one, I probably can't get the actual code, only for the ones exported here. Our models didn't get CVTs until much later. Different beasts totally, but hopefully someone on here can find a code description

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If its a jdm one, I probably can't get the actual code, only for the ones exported here. Our models didn't get CVTs until much later. Different beasts totally, but hopefully someone on here can find a code description
Ok, appreciate it mate. Will perhaps start another tread to other groups to see if someone can be able to help me out. Appreciate your time and thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts