Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The A/C unit in 2007 and early 2008 SX4s had poor magnetic clutches. US acknowledged this, Canada didn't. After the A/C stops working the next symptom will be a squeal from the A/C (clutch) pulley. This will eventually lead to worn bearings and finally a seized pulley which will break the serpentine belt.

Suzuki dealers will advise that it's not possible to bypass the A/C pulley with a belt for an SX4 that doesn't have air conditioning (no clearance is the reason given).

It is possible to fit a belt and not remove the A/C pulley. I've done it and there's a 1/4" clearance from the A/C pulley - an inexpensive and quick fix if your SX4 has the magnetic clutch issue and you don't wish to make the very expensive repairs.

The belt I fitted was a BANDO 5PK1550 :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've done that before on other cars. Tied a string around the pulley's with exception to what you want to eliminate, then go to parts store and match up belt. It helps to have a friend who will take the time to measure and look in crossover books instead of just application books. Anytime I do this, I always write down the brand and part number of the belt in case someone else has to do the same.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
... Tied a string around the pulley's with exception to what you want to eliminate, then go to parts store and match up belt...
..if the new intended path does not interfere with idlers or make tensioners inoperative....
sometimes, designers have designed that path as impossible.....

·
Registered
57 Posts
You are absolutely right LMP. Sometimes they design them so you pretty much have to keep the original belt route. In this application though, TegsPal did it and even gave the belt part number. It seems the sideways engines for front wheel drive are designed not to be changed. Not like the good old days.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Before reading your post, I was going to do the same thing and my research came up with the same belt as you used, a 5pk1550.
Problem is when I tried fitting it, it was too short, so I didn't try to fit it by fear that the tension would be too high and start stressing all the bearings.
When fitting the original, there is a lot of loose to fit the belt with the tensionner fully retracted. I was still too short even with the tensionner fully retracted with the 5pk1550.
Was your 5pk1550 tighter than the original?
Did it pass the test of time, did you have any problems later?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The belt I used was the same specifications as for any SX4 without A/C. There was no problem fitting it. The belts are always tight, with or without A/C. The belt I quoted is designed for the SX4 without A/C and has the same routing.
Mine is still on there and given no problems, touch wood. It is often suggested to replace the tensioner and tensioner pulley but at 10 years old and 250,000 kms I still have the original tensioner. I'll change it when I hear the early warning noise. :) I carry a spare belt the same specification as the one I used to replace the longer belt after the magnetic clutch pulley seized.
Good luck, should not be an issue to fit that belt because that's what it's designed for. :)

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Problem is when I tried fitting it, it was too short, ?
YOU did not tell what year your SX4. ENgines are not all the same ; pulleys and routing can be different.
Tegspal was with the J20A. 2010 and up use the J20B
the 2012 w/o a/c uses 2008 mm belt (78.5 in) , not the 1550 as mentioned

Reactions: TegsPal

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had to change the water pump so I tried again after I was done and I was finally able to install the shorter 5pk1550, I probably had it caught somewhere on the 1st try. It fits like the original 5pk1665, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
YOU did not tell what year your SX4. ENgines are not all the same ; pulleys and routing can be different.
Tegspal was with the J20A. 2010 and up use the J20B
the 2012 w/o a/c uses 2008 mm belt (78.5 in) , not the 1550 as mentioned
Sorry about that, I do have my model in my profile, I was under the impression that it showed when I posted, I added it to my signature now.

Before posting I made sure that I had the same engine as OP. I was not expecting help from the whole community, I had two quick questions for OP and it probably would have been more appropriate to PM him than post on the thread.

Sorry again

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
.., I was under the impression that it showed when I posted, ..
No problem...Tegspal..apparently not far from you, had answered that question..and in addition I see your signature now

... would have been more appropriate to PM ..than post on the thread
The purpose of the forum is to serve the whole commuinity. Replies to your questions can help many other people...so public is OK.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry about that, I do have my model in my profile, I was under the impression that it showed when I posted, I added it to my signature now.

Before posting I made sure that I had the same engine as OP. I was not expecting help from the whole community, I had two quick questions for OP and it probably would have been more appropriate to PM him than post on the thread.

Sorry again
Tekaos ---

I am the original owner of a very early 2007 SX4 with the magnetic clutch issue on the AC compressor. I recently had the AC compressor cycling perfectly for a few days, but prior to that, I have gone more than a year without the compressor properly engaging. The Magnetic clutch seems to have a mind of it's own where it will sometimes work but most times it never engages.

When Suzuki North America was still in place, I tried to get the car repaired under warranty but the part was backordered and with work / life the followup repair got put off. Today my car is almost 11 years old, and as stated the compressor engages sometimes, other times not at all.

There is a repair available where removal of the magnetic clutch itself is one step, but the key broken part is the magnetic coil itself, which lives behind the magnetic clutch. The magnetic coil malfunctioned on early SX4s due to corrosion on the coil. Replacement coils are available on eBay and cost about $60 - 90 US dollars. There is also a very good article with step by step photos of the repair, including the removal / replacement of the pulley, clutch, and coil,
installing the new coil and the reverse install of the clutch and pulley. It could be a DIY but in reality it's better to work on the compressor with the car on a rack / lift. The Suzuki repair manual states that the repair involves 1.6 hours of labor time.

See this thread for detailed information on AC magnetic clutch repair / parts:
for owners of early SX4s (2007-2010) with A/C compressor clutch repairs - Page 3

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is from the start of this thread:
"The A/C unit in 2007 and early 2008 SX4s had poor magnetic clutches. US acknowledged this, Canada didn't. After the A/C stops working the next symptom will be a squeal from the A/C (clutch) pulley. This will eventually lead to worn bearings and finally a seized pulley which will break the serpentine belt.

Suzuki dealers will advise that it's not possible to bypass the A/C pulley with a belt for an SX4 that doesn't have air conditioning (no clearance is the reason given).

It is possible to fit a belt and not remove the A/C pulley. I've done it and there's a 1/4" clearance from the A/C pulley - an inexpensive and quick fix if your SX4 has the magnetic clutch issue and you don't wish to make the very expensive repairs.

The belt I fitted was a BANDO 5PK1550 "

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
So I have a 2009 SX4, which is the length for the delete belt size for my engine? I could not glean which I should use.
WE do not know where you live, which model exactly you have, nor which of the numerous engines you have, if you have a hydraulic power steering (and pump) or an electric one. At this time any try to figure out a relevant reply is purely hypothetical. Fill up your profile or signature with all details.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.