Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of buying a 1990 tracker ( 4wd 5 speed ) it has a 3 inch susp lift and a aftermarket hardtop the frame is solid but the floor's are pretty bad and has cracked window and needs some tlc I would most likely use this as a daily driver and weekend toy now this has manual steering also was wondering if i could convert to power? he said he will take $1500 is that a decent deal?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I was thinking of buying a 1990 tracker ( 4wd 5 speed ) it has a 3 inch susp lift and a aftermarket hardtop the frame is solid but the floor's are pretty bad and has cracked window and needs some tlc I would most likely use this as a daily driver and weekend toy now this has manual steering also was wondering if i could convert to power? he said he will take $1500 is that a decent deal?
Without knowing where on this glorious planet you are located, I am gonna say I think you can do better esp. IF it doesn't have the options you want. Try to find the parts you will want to install first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry Northern Pa, I don't know much about these and I was told the 8v is better then the later 16v? not to many other tractors for sale around here

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
sorry Northern Pa, I don't know much about these and I was told the 8v is better then the later 16v? not to many other tractors for sale around here
Exactly my point, where did you expect to get the power steering to put in it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live next to one of the biggest "you pull it" junk yard's in PA but I am not to worried about the steering as I drove it and honestly was pretty easy with out was just wondering if I ever wanted to down the road. so what do these go for used then?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I live next to one of the biggest "you pull it" junk yard's in PA but I am not to worried about the steering as I drove it and honestly was pretty easy with out was just wondering if I ever wanted to down the road. so what do these go for used then?
Like anything else they are worth whatever you are willing to pay for it. In 2005 I bought a 1995 Tracker 4WD, convertible, AC, 5spd for $1800. The only thing I put in it was the key.

IF you know how to weld and are willing to put more time & money in it after you get, well that is up to you. But honestly, IF the floorboards are rusted out I am willing to bet the frame also has damage.

Spend some time reading this forum as there are other known problems like a damaged crankshaft.

Also, Call that junk yard and just ask how many 90's Track/kick they have. Ask if they have an engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can check online they have 4 geo's and 2 sidekicks...the price doe's seem alittle high but there are no other's in my area

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
..the price doe's seem alittle high but there are no other's in my area
If you plan on keeping a TracKick for a while, it might be worth it to go out of the area to buy... especially if you live in a rust belt. Between the rust prone areas of these little rigs, and the fact that they normally see a lot of winter use... and salty roads, most your local rigs will be rusted out. Pick up one from a non-rust belt area. It will be worth the added initial expense over the long term.

Plus if you do this and keep it clean and rust-proofed when/if you do sell it, you should be able to ask a premium price. ;)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I can check online they have 4 geo's and 2 sidekicks...the price doe's seem alittle high but there are no other's in my area
Do they have any of the parts you want?
Ask if they have an engine.
AFAIK online inventories lag far behind hands on actual inventory.

Hey a visit could open your eyes if you can see the underside of a couple frames and some side panels.

·
Registered
621 Posts
1800 is steep.

My 95 was rust free with a goo filled motor that ran great for only 2.

Wifes 96 was a low mileage stocker for 3.

As for powersteering...get it. Last belt I ordered was an inch too short so O drove around powersteering free for a week, on 33s. Im 300lbs, and the arm pump from that week left me barely able to lift the arms at night.

Not saying a stocker is hard to turn, am saying it is unlikely you will keep it stock.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'd definitely pass on that one. Sounds more like a $500 car. Wait for something better to show up in your area or plan to travel to get a clean one. Repairing rust damaged floorboards is not where I'd want to spend my time. A friend in NE bought an almost rust free Tracker for $1500. Only repair needed was a new clutch cable.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The PS swap is straightforward. The floor panels can be replaced but are probably a sign of a much greater rust issue, places that need particular attention are the rear floorpan near the seat belt mounts, and the crossmembers by the fuel tank. The 1990 ECU is very old technology and as such suffers more than most from capacitor problems.

·
Super Moderator
24,473 Posts
I would pass as well. Not only for the rust issue, but for the preference in a Trackick that is at least a 1991 - as Rhino says, the 89/90 is very old technology. If you continue searching, I would also stay away from a Suzuki Sport...:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thank's guy's Im going to pass I want something decent as this is going to be daily driven I've seen a few 2nd gen trackers pop up I may check out

1 - 15 of 15 Posts