Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've just bought a 2012 auto 5 door. I live in the NT, so a bull bar is a must and I also want to give it a bit more clearance (or at least not lose any) as I'll be going off road a bit. The majority of my driving will be highway/around town though, so I want to keep it as comfortable as possible and also minimise any loss of fuel economy.

I'm tossing up between:

- Ironman bullbar (steel) which the dealer says is about 60kg & will drop the front around 10mm so I would need to get a lift. Bullbar $2150 fitted plus lift (I think 40mm) $1650.

- or go for TJM alloy which is a lot more expensive ($3220) but presumably substantially lighter - if I go for that, maybe it won't need a lift and slightly larger tyres will be enough to give the clearance I need (from looking through old posts, possibly with higher springs as well??) The only issue with this is that if I turn out to need a lift later on, it's going to make the total price pretty huge.

I need a bull bar that's tough enough to handle hitting something big, but I don't plan on attaching winches/lights etc, so it doesn't need to be too hardcore.

I've been looking through the forum to get ideas but I know next to nothing about cars so it's all a bit confusing. Would love to hear from people who have either done the bullbar/lift combo, or went without the lift, and how it's worked out for you.

Thanks.

PS. ARB not an option at the moment - apparently none in Australia and it would need to wait for their next manufacturing run.

·
Registered
6,864 Posts
Go ironman (or ARB) steel bullbar with the old man emu 40 mm lift kit, will come out about 25mm to 35mm higher than it is now with the bar (40 mm without the bar)and the ride will be good. TJM are ok, but they do bend, had them on a couple of lux's here and they look good but not that solid when you hit a cow at night.

I'd wait for the ARB if it was mine, they are a full bullbar and bumper in one

Reactions: Mikebtte

·
Registered
91 Posts
Second 2013GV opinion. I am going with the ARB once everything gets cleared up and shipping to the US is not such a nightmare.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks. I've got an aluminium one (not sure what brand) on my current car and it survived hitting a buffalo a few years ago, but maybe the quality varies. Or maybe I just got lucky!

ARB couldn't tell me how long it would be, so I'm guessing months unfortunately. I don't want to risk going out bush without a bullbar.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have an ECB figure 8. It survived, with a small bend that was straightened out, an 80k meeting with a roo last year. Unfortunately I later hit a large bird that went through the grille and cracked the radiator which resulted in a replacement engine. My favourite suspension gurus say the body has a very slight crease which is ok. One of the disadvantages of no chassis to bolt these things onto. I am planning to protect the grille with 1 inch mesh as I hit another bird yesterday but wasn't going very fast.
I was lucky with the engine it only had 50 k on it and seems to have more getup than my old one.
I also have a 40mm lift but went for springs and shockers based on 2013s and other more knowledgeable people like the aforementioned suspension gurus, advice. Was about 1100 for parts including camber bolts that turned out to be necessary, but did my back in doing the rear and had to spend another 200 getting the front put in.
If you go new shocks stay away from dobinsons my son had 3 out of 4 replaced under warranty because they leaked. My suspension bloke wasnt too impressed with springs either they are a narrower coil than original. He reckons i probably could have done better with Lovells. I once had them retension some springs many years ago on my EH and they did a great job.

Reactions: Mikebtte

·
Registered
91 Posts
As a note, if you order an ARB bumper from whoever there biggest retailer is, they are likely to make a run of the bumper sooner than later. Larger companies have a lot more pull than you or me and they are more likely to build the bumper for someone large.
They only have to pull the template down and most of the steel is computer cut, they don't mind building one bumper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts